CrazyEngineers Archive
Old, but evergreen and popular discussions on CrazyEngineers, presented to you in read-only mode.
@anjali zendre • 02 Nov, 2012
What exactly is the difference between a rocket and a missile? Are they different or same?
@Jeffrey Arulraj • 02 Nov, 2012
anjali zendre
what are difference have between rockets and missiles?
Rockets and missiles use almost the same tech But Missiles are for horizontal travelling of load and Rockets are for vertical traversal of Pay load
@anjali zendre • 02 Nov, 2012 thanks for reply...
@Ramani Aswath • 02 Nov, 2012 A rocket has on board power. A missile may be ballistic like a thrown stone, arrow, javelin or a bullet.
@Kaustubh Katdare • 02 Nov, 2012 • 1 like Let's say, a missile may be powered by a rocket, but not always. A rocket is a self propelled system. Missiles are typically equipped with explosives and are used in military.
@anjali zendre • 02 Nov, 2012 thanks friend...for reply.
@anjali zendre • 03 Nov, 2012 i also have found few lines..
bomb is a explosive.
if we attach any type of propulsion system to a bomb is called rocket.
if a guiding and control mechanism is attached to a rocket, it become a missile.
@anjali zendre • 03 Nov, 2012 and one more difference is..
rocket content oxidizer in it's fuel chamber.
but missile have atmospheric air as a oxidizer.
@Ramani Aswath • 03 Nov, 2012 • 4 likes
anjali zendre
i also have found few lines..
bomb is a explosive.
if we attach any type of propulsion system to a bomb is called rocket.
if a guiding and control mechanism is attached to a rocket, it become a missile.
Not quite.
A rocket is a device that works on Newton's third law of motion. It does not have to have a bomb on it.
A stone thrown at a dog (or a frying pan at a husband) is a missile. A guided missile like the Patriot missile will have a rocket and a control system.

Here is some info on a huge rocket under development at NASA. There is no bomb on it.
Sorry. This got left out.
https://www.space.com/18275-nasa-sls-rocket-potential-missions.html
Guided missiles have built in oxidisers.
@anjali zendre • 03 Nov, 2012 thanks for your reply sir..
@Chinu1 • 18 Dec, 2012
bioramani
Not quite.
A rocket is a device that works on Newton's third law of motion. It does not have to have a bomb on it.
A stone thrown at a dog (or a frying pan at a husband) is a missile. A guided missile like the Patriot missile will have a rocket and a control system.

Here is some info on a huge rocket under development at NASA. There is no bomb on it.
Sorry. This got left out.
https://www.space.com/18275-nasa-sls-rocket-potential-missions.html
Guided missiles have built in oxidisers.
Thank you so much for this useful advise....
@PuneetVerma • 18 Dec, 2012 Rocket works on principle of Newtons third law of motion - action and reaction. Technically you may say propulsion. Hot gas from burnt fuel are exhausted downwards and give propulsive force to rocket so that it can attain some height and takes off fiercely.

Missile in somewhat related to Projectile.
@vamsi kancharla • 10 Jan, 2013 A rocket is a means of propulsion defined by having entirely self-contained propellant (unlike a jet engine, that burns fuel using air from the atmosphere). You could use for various purposes (firework, spacecraft, weapon, etc).A missile is specifically a weapon (which may or may not be driven by a rocket - for instance, the WW2 V2 ballistic missile was driven by a rocket, but its precursor the V1 was powered by a jet engine).
@Ramani Aswath • 10 Jan, 2013 A bullet from a gun or an arrow from a bow are ballistic missiles but not powered.
@atul-namdeo • 21 Mar, 2013 thankz sir for reply.. giving such knowledge
9.3k views

Related Posts

@Udaya Bhaskar · Jun 10, 2012

Hello Everyone .., I would like to know, what all subjects will I come across in 2nd year Engineering of Computer Science Department ..? And I would like to what...
11.8k views

@Ankita Katdare · Aug 15, 2014

Mahindra Two Wheelers India has launched a new ride for the Indian roads with Mahindra Rodeo UZO 125. Priced at Rs. 47,957 - the new top-end two wheeler packs inside...
5.1k views

@Ankita Katdare · Dec 20, 2010

I just figured out how to format a pen drive on a Mac. I hope this will be of help to all the newbies with Mac. 😀 1. Plug the...
11k views

@Akhilesh Garud · Jul 5, 2014

The Indian market has turned into playground for almost all the smartphone manufacturing companies. One such company- Xolo, recently launched the Q 500s IPS by giving it a price tag...
6.3k views

@Ankita Katdare · Jul 2, 2013

The recent entry in the 110cc motorbike segment is with the launch of Centuro by Mahindra & Mahindra group. The two-wheeler portfolio of the company is going to be scaled...
4.4k views