Difference between On-Page & Off-Page SEO? - How to use it?

I recently came across the terms 'On-page' & 'Off-Page' SEO.
I think On-Page SEO means key-word rich content. (Not sure of this, since there has to be more to the term than just that.)
Could some expert explain what are these and how to use it to optimize the search engine? 😉

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Content wins. SEO is dead.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    The_Big_K
    Content wins. SEO is dead.
    Alright. Short is sweet. 😁
  • Sophie Chalmers
    Sophie Chalmers
    Looks like we’re going back to basics again as we discuss another “exciting” topic on the SEO front (Okay, so I’m exaggerating a bit but I didn’t want people falling asleep right off the bat). Today, we’ll be talking about two essential elements of SEO: on page and off page SEO.

One of the main goals every webmaster has when building a site is to be able to get a substantial amount of traffic running through it. While the exact purpose of the blog may vary – from building a strong blogging community to creating a link to your affiliate site – what’s sure is that there’s a lot of behind-the-scenes magic at work to help attain this objective.

In fact, optimizing your site for search engines is a very important factor in drawing traffic to your site. Two key players in this role include on page and off page SEO. However, some people are a bit in the dark as to how these two actually work their charm on the search engines. I’ve compiled a few key notes which describe each of their most outstanding traits:

On Page SEO:

Keyword research and implementing them on the site is one of the key elements of on page SEO. Making sure that all the essential keywords that you are competing for are dispersed across your site’s pages (this is especially true for your main or home page) is something that search engines always look for when they send their bots crawling through.
    Proper use of heading titles from h1 to h7 is also checked by search engine bots. Aside from emphasizing and identifying a particular post or article, these heading titles are the ones that usually come up in the search results page when someone enters a query. This is why it is also important to try and insert keywords or phrases which are relevant to the main topic that’s being discussed under the heading.

Search engines also take a look at the alt tags of any images found on a web page. They do this to compensate for the fact that they cannot read the contents of the image itself. Site masters should make it a point to again include key words and phrases to help identify the images they are using on a given site.

While it’s not exactly on the top of the list for on page SEO, the meta data found on the page is also given a low priority consideration in terms of page relevance. While it may seem like a hassle to set these up as well, remember that in the game of SEO dominance that every little bit helps.

Off Page SEO:

Off page SEO relies mostly on elements outside of your web pages’ scope to draw traffic. This is inherently tied to the number and quality of backlinks from other sites that point back to your own.

Whenever someone links to a particular page on your site because that person liked it or found the content relevant to their interests, that gives your site credibility and raises its “relevance score” for the search engines.

Other off page SEO strategies include guest postings on other people’s blogs, submit your top articles on website directories or promoting your best pages through Facebook and other social media channels.

Either way, both on page and off page SEO plays a vital role in making sure that a given site is optimized for the search engines. While it’s certainly challenging to try and implement all these basic concepts into a site, the rewards can be quite substantial to those who know how to play the game.
  • insane.nick
    insane.nick
    Let me tell you about this
    On page
    *Make each page rank for a prominent shingle “word or group of words”.
    *Prioritize which pages are more important than others based on where they sit in the site architecture, navigation structure, secondary navigation or internal links.
    *Make a page rank on a fraction of the links from off page ranking factors.
    Off Page SEO
    *Compensate for flawed on page optimization for less competitive keywords.
    *Take a new page from not in the top 1000 results in Google to Page One in weeks.
    *Get deeper less important pages in Google, Yahoo or Bing’s index to create more mid-tail or long-tail traffic.
    *Keep competitive pages at the top of search engines
  • simplycoder
    simplycoder
    Sophie Chalmers
    Looks like we’re going back to basics again as we discuss another “exciting” topic on the SEO front (Okay, so I’m exaggerating a bit but I didn’t want people falling asleep right off the bat). Today, we’ll be talking about two essential elements of SEO: on page and off page SEO.

One of the main goals every webmaster has when building a site is to be able to get a substantial amount of traffic running through it. While the exact purpose of the blog may vary – from building a strong blogging community to creating a link to your affiliate site – what’s sure is that there’s a lot of behind-the-scenes magic at work to help attain this objective.

In fact, optimizing your site for search engines is a very important factor in drawing traffic to your site. Two key players in this role include on page and off page SEO. However, some people are a bit in the dark as to how these two actually work their charm on the search engines. I’ve compiled a few key notes which describe each of their most outstanding traits:

On Page SEO:

Keyword research and implementing them on the site is one of the key elements of on page SEO. Making sure that all the essential keywords that you are competing for are dispersed across your site’s pages (this is especially true for your main or home page) is something that search engines always look for when they send their bots crawling through.
    Proper use of heading titles from h1 to h7 is also checked by search engine bots. Aside from emphasizing and identifying a particular post or article, these heading titles are the ones that usually come up in the search results page when someone enters a query. This is why it is also important to try and insert keywords or phrases which are relevant to the main topic that’s being discussed under the heading.

Search engines also take a look at the alt tags of any images found on a web page. They do this to compensate for the fact that they cannot read the contents of the image itself. Site masters should make it a point to again include key words and phrases to help identify the images they are using on a given site.

While it’s not exactly on the top of the list for on page SEO, the meta data found on the page is also given a low priority consideration in terms of page relevance. While it may seem like a hassle to set these up as well, remember that in the game of SEO dominance that every little bit helps.

Off Page SEO:

Off page SEO relies mostly on elements outside of your web pages’ scope to draw traffic. This is inherently tied to the number and quality of backlinks from other sites that point back to your own.

Whenever someone links to a particular page on your site because that person liked it or found the content relevant to their interests, that gives your site credibility and raises its “relevance score” for the search engines.

Other off page SEO strategies include guest postings on other people’s blogs, submit your top articles on website directories or promoting your best pages through Facebook and other social media channels.

Either way, both on page and off page SEO plays a vital role in making sure that a given site is optimized for the search engines. While it’s certainly challenging to try and implement all these basic concepts into a site, the rewards can be quite substantial to those who know how to play the game.
    Welcome to CE. Its good to see that you are contributing to this forum and that is a valuable piece of information you have shared with us. However on a note, if you have referred from certain web resource, then kindly post them here as well. Please avoid to copy-paste the entire post or rather just post the link. This was one source which was quiet identical to your post : #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Sophie's just copy pasted stuff for SEO. Unfortunately it's not going to help.
  • vikaskumar11233
    vikaskumar11233
    AbraKaDabra
    I recently came across the terms 'On-page' & 'Off-Page' SEO.
    I think On-Page SEO means key-word rich content. (Not sure of this, since there has to be more to the term than just that.)
    Could some expert explain what are these and how to use it to optimize the search engine? 😉
    Hi AbraKaDabra
    See you are right that content come in the In-page part. Well here I am explaining about On-pg and Off-Pg
    In On-page those factors which directly hit your website like content, keyword, title, description header tag and many more and Off-pg includes those factor which help in making the back links for your website they include many technique like Bookmaking, Article submission, Blogs etc.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hey guys , am new at image processing and wish to create my own filter that would reduce shot noise please could anyone help me?
The technical fest is organized by Godavari Institute Of Engineering and technology. This fest is brought to you by ECE Department. Fest Dates--22 december, 23 december 2011 Events-- 1. Paper...
Let's make a collection of "technology facts" that are less known and are good for general knowledge. You can add anything related to technology companies, websites, hardware/software, web etc.
Facebook will be opening an office in New York by 2012. It's planning to recruit hundreds of engineers to plan out other innovative ideas for the social networking site. You'll...
hi friends, i heard a news that fruits like orange, strawberries and vegetables are used as fuels for future generations as our resources are going to be scared ,the use...