friut and vegetable pulps used as fuels

hi friends,
i heard a news that fruits like orange, strawberries and vegetables are used as fuels for future generations as our resources are going to be scared ,the use of this fuels will become as important resources. when this resources get scared then which resources will help us
Guess friends
and what is your opinion about this

Replies

• Gandalf
    Gandalf
    We always need to reseach on areas of harnessing non conventional energy resources at comparatively low cost.

If it becomes possible then
    No need of harnessing at conventional or any other sources as fruits
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The immediate use I can think of is in production of biogas. Does that count?
  • Gandalf
    Gandalf
    Yes it does
    It is one of the non conventional sources of energy.

It is cost effective too .
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Most fruit and vegetable pulp is water and does not count. There are better sources than orange pulp for biogas. Waste of all the vitamins and minerals too.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    ... hmm. should edibile food be converted into fuels for vehicles? :-s and that too in what quantity can they be produced to generate sustainable amount of fuel? the logic doesnot seem too convincing for me.
  • lal
    lal
    That's quite a concern. Harvesting fuel but not food. The driver is hungry, but the car runs.
    The food wastes are a better option I think.
  • Gandalf
    Gandalf
    @durga Edible foods should not be converted to fuels Instead
    we should try to harness Tidal, Wind , Solar, Geothermal, Agricultural Biomass, Hydroelectric at comparativelylower cost of equipments in setting them up
  • Gandalf
    Gandalf
    Some Facts:
    Current Status India in Solar Energy : Wikipedia

With about 300 clear, sunny days in a year, India's theoretical solar power reception, on only its land area, is about 5 Petawatt-hours per year (PWh/yr) (i.e. 5 trillion kWh/yr or about 600TW) The daily average solar energy incident over India varies from 4 to 7 kWh/m2 with about 1500–2000 sunshine hours per year (depending upon location), which is far more than current total energy consumption
    The amount of solar energy produced in India is less than 1% of the total energy demand.
    Some Projects for solar thermal Generation
    The first Indian solar thermal power project (2X50MW) is in progress in Phalodi (Rajasthan), and is constructed by CORPORATE ISPAT ALLOY LTD. The solar thermal power plant has cost 4 times as much as the coal based steam thermal power plant, CIAL carried this 2x850 crore solar thermal project. It is the "pioneering of solar energy" in India. India is densely populated and has high solar insolation, an ideal combination for using solar power in India.
    Cost is very high
    If through innovations we are able to reduce setup costs we would not have Electricity Problems

If this Happens then we Could reduce fossil fuel consumption by using Electric Motor Vehicles , Electric Trains and so on
  • Shreyas Sule
    Shreyas Sule
    I am little unsure about how exactly the "fuel" is obtained from the vegetables. Can someone be more specific on it? If the fuel is biogas, i am not going to part with my oranges and strawberries for sure!
  • Gandalf
    Gandalf
    an Interesting article
    Fermenting waste fruit to fuel ethanol

By Dr Garth Cambray

For hundreds of years the lawn around a house represented a sort of fuel tank - you parked your transport - a horse - outside your house and it ate your grass keeping a nice trimmed lawn around your house. Horses like short grass, so lawns that are short - ie closest to the house, are kept nicely trimmed. Within the last 70 or so years this changed as horses were phased out, and more and more people had to use mechanical devices to get rid of the excess grass outside their houses. Most of these use fossil fuels. This series of articles shows you how you can use waste fruit, possibly from your garden, to make your own fuel and cut your lawn sustainably (or make ethanol to power a generator or fuel cell system to make electricity for your house!).

Read More : #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    It is far better to work with Jatropha seeds, which can produce high grade diesel oil. The main advantages are that Jatropha grows in semi arid non agricultural waste land, is not a food crop and does not compete with food crops for water and fertile land.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Auto Update of posts in threads without reloading or refreshing it. Would be great from the user point of view Something like Gmail which uses Ajax
I have always been sitting cross-legged, I can sit for long hours because this is always been my habit. I am always comfortable in this position. I also appreciate the...
Gowalla - a location based service provider has been taken over by social networking giant Facebook. The details of the takeover are unknown yet. CNN money quotes that FB has...
Samsung Galaxy Nexus Prime - the Ice Creme Sandwich phone is unofficially being sold in India for Rs. 43500/- on eBay, reports pluggd.in. Samsung has not officially revealed the plans...
The trend on the Internet seems to be focused towards crowdsourcing. Do you generally think that innovation can be crowdsourced?