difference between a switch and hub?

Been studying computer networking and came across these terms. Whats the difference between switch and hub?

Replies

• sreeraghuma
    sreeraghuma
    Hi
    Switch and hub is one and the same
    only the difference is hub broadcast data to all port ,where as Switch work at data link layer (considering MAC address of the system),thus we can send data to particular system without being broadcasting when it come hub we cant choose single user to send data
    this even can reduce network traffic
    Hope this helped u to know difference 😀
  • Banashree Patra
    Banashree Patra
    Switch sends data to only that port which is meant for it by looking at the lookup table.But hub sends data to all the ports.As the lookup table is done by a software so its cost is about 4-5 times more than that of hub.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

An anti aliasing filter is analog or digital filter?
Has anyone checked this out? Truly amazing. Enter the site Http://showmystreet.com/ and start typing in any address in the world and see the way the programme reacts as the address...
Dear Engineers, I'm facing a laptop overheating problem. the problem details: - the laptop shuts down automatically after some while of hard processing (e.g. matlab , antivirus); - the fan...
gyz plz sombody help me out here; my question is: i want to connect a smart phone(wireless connection) to a pc in LAN.. plz suggest me what kind of hardware...
Richard Branson has been putting lot of money in making the aeroplanes fly using biofuel and now, the Boeing 787 is ready to take its first flight using the new...