Determining structural periods of buildings:-

The period of an undamped mass supported on a spring is equal to 2 .pie sq.rt of M/K

A useful approximation for buildings with a regular distribution of mass and stiffness is
T is approximately equal to 2.sq.rt of delta(seconds)

where delta is the lateral deflection in metres of the top of the building when subjected to its gravity loads acting horizontally;
period depends on the square root of mass divided by stiffnesses, so large changes in mass and stiffness are needed for a significant change in period. By contrast mounting the building on flexible bearings can dramatically increase the period.

As a rough initial guide, the fundamental period of
a building is N=10.
iamk,

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

OLA, Uber and almost every other taxi booking smartphone apps require you to turn on your mobile data connection to make the booking. The team at Baxi thinks that this...
A group of electrical engineers from MIT and Harvard University have collaborated to launch an application which enforces security on smartphone users’ private data. Named as Sieve, it would basically...
On 18th March, Google Maps announced their new update to Google Maps. Now, the Android users of the same can use customized icons to mark and save the addresses of...
Hello there, I have qualified Gate (EC) 2016 but with a very low score just on the edge of qualifying marks. What should I do now? I am 2013 passout....
Automobile engineers are concerned about high efficiency engines. However, current thinking is to save the environment by lighter vehicles and alternate energies to run them. This article investigates current thoughts...