Baxi App Allows Booking Bike-Taxi Without Data Connection; Uses SMS Instead

OLA, Uber and almost every other taxi booking smartphone apps require you to turn on your mobile data connection to make the booking. The team at Baxi thinks that this is a problem that needs to be solved. The Gurgaon based startup has added a new feature to its app that relies on SMS, and not the mobile data, to make the bookings. The latest version of the Baxi app adds this feature along with 'favorites' feature that lets you mark your driver as 'favorite' one.

While currently available only in Gurgaon and Faridabad, Baxi is looking to expand to other cities in coming days. Baxi says that it's pioneering the use of two-wheelers as taxi to solve the urban commuting problem. It claims that they are the first 'officially licensed' motorcycle taxi service in North India.

Baxi co-founder, Manu Rana informed the PTI that all customers who have a smartphone without the data connection can now make use of the Baxi app to make bookings. The official Baxi app has a 'BOOK' button that finds you the nearest bike-taxi available. It then uses the text message to send user's current location to the server and makes the booking. The entire process is very similar to that of online booking.

Baxi-SMS-Booking-Bike-Taxi

Baxi is in the process of expanding to Noida and Ghaziabad by the end of the month. The base fare is Rs. 10 and the riders will have to pay Rs. 4/km and Rs. 1 per minute of ride time.

Baxi says that it's already powering about 3000 rides on daily basis in Gurgaon and Faridabad. With its $1.5 million funding, the startup is offering discounted rides and getting more riders on board.

While the SMS based booking looks good; we do not know whether it's cheaper than using data service to make the booking. Of course, it does solve the problem of the app not working in the regions where the data connectivity is poor. We look forward to your views on Baxi and whether SMS based booking will help it attract more customers.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

A group of electrical engineers from MIT and Harvard University have collaborated to launch an application which enforces security on smartphone users’ private data. Named as Sieve, it would basically...
On 18th March, Google Maps announced their new update to Google Maps. Now, the Android users of the same can use customized icons to mark and save the addresses of...
Hello there, I have qualified Gate (EC) 2016 but with a very low score just on the edge of qualifying marks. What should I do now? I am 2013 passout....
Automobile engineers are concerned about high efficiency engines. However, current thinking is to save the environment by lighter vehicles and alternate energies to run them. This article investigates current thoughts...
Hi, This is Sonali,you guys are doing great job its really helpgul for students.i also have query regarding my career . i am persuing BE(computer engineering) and have 2 yr...