DARPA Working On Low-Cost Robots That Will Make Your Hands Obsolete

Well, not really but they are catching up quick. The research on low-cost artificial hands has been fruitful and the organization has #-Link-Snipped-#of yet another milestone achieved by the mimic robot. In the clip, the robotic hand takes the part of pit crew and removes a car tire by unscrewing it effortlessly. Experts are keen on emulating the finer movements and gestures of the human hand and incorporate it into the robot's feature set. The focus is not only on developing a robotic hand which masters the details but doing so at a low-cost. The Pentagon program is in its third-phase and their next immediate goal is to make the robot capable of fixing the tire in one place with nuts and bolts. The long term goal is to develop robot hands that would detect an explosive device with touch alone.

slide

DARPA believes it can bring down the traditional cost of $10000 for such a prosthetic device to $3000, so that one day it can be made available for wide use. $3000 is still quite expensive for an average buyer, but I guess that's the price you pay for the luxury of artificial hands.

Source: DARPA wants to build low-cost robots that mimic your hand's finest movements - The Verge

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi i want to construct the suspension bridge model kindly help me with the suitable information like model, materials to be used, etc thanks in advance for helping
Dear CEan's please explain me briefly that can Reynolds Number be changed in any design compatible to orifice parameters?
in my college someone did facebook confession page, I don't knw who they are. Bt I challenged them tat, defiantly I will find u,so I need to find them ,I...
We know that phase shift of 3phase system 360° & phase angle is 120°,but for 2 phase why the phase angle is 90°,why nt 180°??
can any one give me the clear cut explanation about the mppt algorithm and how does it go step by step