Crank Shaft

Hi friends,
Ever wondered of a crank shaft?
Well this is a single one piece casting or a forged part.The material is heat treated alloy steel.The crankshafts may be unbalanced.So to balance them we usually place dead weights also called as counter weights.The crankshafts of some V6 engines have crank pins which have spread out.It is also called as a splayed crank pin.This crank pin is split in two parts.To balance out-balance conditions each rod is provided with its own crank pin.
The front end is connected with Gear or sprocket which drive
1.Camshaft
2.The pulley which is actually belt driven and
3.Vibration Damper.
While the output side is as usual attached with a flywheel.
Usually an engine which is accommodated with electronic engine control or simply EEC has a timing disc mounted on crankshaft.
I think I have already explained the use of sensors as to how the ignition system knows about piston positions
So great studying.And please do correct me wherever I am wrong.Ciao

Replies

• vignesh sp
    vignesh sp
    Hi ISHU,
    could u please tell me what is the function of the crank.
    what is the definition of the crank
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    [​IMG]

See for the definition of crank I won't tell you. We are here to discuss the concepts. But it is a link that transmit power.
    A crankshaft has cylinders mounted on on it. It is very crooked in shape with lots of bends etc. so that when it rotates, the cylinders will have a reciprocating motion.
  • mech. royal
    mech. royal
    we can say crankshaft is the backbone of the ic engine.its function is to convert reciprocatry motion of the piston in to the rotory motion. it has one or more eccentric portion called crank.the part of crank to which bigger end of the conn.rod attached is calledcrankpin. crankshaft is made of special steel alloy...........how was it???/
  • vignesh sp
    vignesh sp
    ya its ok my friend. Then what is the purpose of connecting rod?
  • mech. royal
    mech. royal
    vignesh sp
    ya its ok my friend. Then what is the purpose of connecting rod?
    ya i can solve ur confusion.it convert reciprocating motion into rotry with the help of conn. rod not lonely ok mr.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I remember ever since I was in IT company the most common complaint every software engineer had was the food served in IT companies. I'm not sure why - but...
What if HR asks this? You didn't completed your work within the deadline since you got some technical problem in your company and the client is shouting at you and...
Hey Guys If anybody has information related to neuclear-cytoplasmic ratio (the actual values for the 3 stages of cervical cancer(i.e HSIL LSIL and normal) please help me out here .any...
CEans, Good news for all the CEans who access CE via mobile devices. We'll soon have a mobile style for CE. I've carried out few tests but there are few...
1.How to disagree your boss?? 2.How would you react if your colleague ask your help in work when you are already overloaded? Share your answers here!