conserve energy on UPS

As i have said already i'm doing energy audit in a commercial building. Is any techniques are there to conserve energy on UPS and in Air conditioners ???

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Unfortunately UPS by its definition is meant to keep an uninterrupted supply. Usually non essentials peripheral loads also get plugged in. Also the load on the UPS tends to be well below the maximum permitted for the unit.
    Consider putting only essential loads on the UPS and ensure that enough such load to a good % of the maximum load is on each UPS for minimal power wastage.

On ACs, minimise heat input into area by proper curtaining, sun control measures and heat generating equipment inside. Also the tendency is to keep the temperature far below what is really needed for comfort simply because the AC is there. Put up the thermostat to the highest possible value.
  • aravindharaj
    aravindharaj
    Oh thank you so much sir . . I think it will be helpful for me. . 😀
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    bioramani
    Consider putting only essential loads on the UPS and ensure that enough such load to a good % of the maximum load is on each UPS for minimal power wastage.
    I cant able to understand these lines. Can you explain me in detail sir.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    If an UPS has a designed 2KW load, it is best to load it up to say 1.8KW. This 1.8 KW should be preferably CPU/ memory devices so that back up function is available to avoid data loss/corruption. Peripherals like printers and scanners guzzle power and need not be on an uninterrupted supply.
    The reason why I suggested this is because in an UPS charge/discharge cycles have an overall efficiency of about 60% only. It goes still lower when the load is less than full.
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    bioramani
    The reason why I suggested this is because in an UPS charge/discharge cycles have an overall efficiency of about 60% only. It goes still lower when the load is less than full.
    Sir,
    Why the efficiency of UPS is 60% only?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    aarthivg
    Sir,
    Why the efficiency of UPS is 60% only?
    Two reasons.
    First, mains power has to be brought down from 220 AC to a DC voltage slightly above battery voltage. The conversion electronics consumes some power that is permanently lost.
    Secondly Charging the battery consumes some power in the circuit resistance and internal resistance of the battery. The same thing happens in reverse when the battery is discharging. An additional problem is that the battery will not give all the power on discharge cycle.
    If all these losses are taken into account overall one gets about 60%.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    aarthivg
    UPS Efficiency Ratings: A Study in Energy Savings | Reliable Resources - Data Center Design and IT Consulting
    That is a good article but the ground reality of Indian Batteries and systems are different. Of course CE is international. However, bulk of the users are Indian.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I just stumbled upon the following post on Mashable about the Tumblr's New York office photographs. Take a look and be jealous: https://mashable.com/2012/03/13/tumblr-hq-tour/#52139Tumblr-HQ
There are people who want to throw in advertisements everywhere. If you thought the caller tunes were annoying; then be ready for the phone ringtones that tell you what's 'hot'...
I see a lot of sites asking for journals-research papers for submit, some asking money for it & other stuff, but I'm looking forward to know which of these sites...
We engineers have a unique vocabulary and it's easy for outsiders to get confused or misunderstand what we mean. Absolute Zero takes a closer look. [Join / Login To View...
I'm trying to connect vb2010 to a database. But not been able to do so. Can a database expert guide me on how to go about this?