Concealed Electrical Wiring

Hi!

I'm currently doing a project on concealed wiring in buildings, for which I need to know:
1. when did concealed wiring come up in India, and
2. why (did it replace open wiring)?
I'm not able to find much information online, I was hoping somebody here could help me. Any extra information on concealed wiring is also welcome.

Thanks!

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Hi Shorty,

The question can best be answered in the Electrical Engineering section. Moving the thread from Announcements to Electrical & Electronics Engineering section.

-The Big K-
  • shorty
    shorty
    Thank you Big K for letting me know of the mistake. I did not realise that I put it in the wrong section.
  • crook
    crook
    To the best of my knowledge, the concept of concealed wiring came to India the the late 90s.

There are few advantages of the concealed wiring. The topmost being that it is quite effective in avoiding the electric shocks. Second could be the looks, for the electric wires are not exposed.

Regarding why did it replace the open wiring, the answer could be that it became more popular with people for the asthetics. I don't see any other reason.
  • shorty
    shorty
    The 90's cant be right. My dad tells me that his house got concealed wiring done in the 70's. But thanks for the other information:smile: Though I need in more detail.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    shorty
    The 90's cant be right. My dad tells me that his house got concealed wiring done in the 70's. But thanks for the other information:smile: Though I need in more detail.
    It would be really difficult to answer the first question. I mean the exact year. Builders & developers in the metros could have moved to the concealed wiring system in 70's.

In addition to the points mentioned by crook, I'd add a major problem that was addressed by concealed wiring system - the spread of fire during accidents.

I second the opinion that the concealed wiring replaced the open wiring system because of the better aesthetics it provides. Shorty, are you aware of any other advantages? Do let me know if you have more information.

-The Big K-
  • shorty
    shorty
    Aesthetics seems to be the most obvious reason, but my guide tells me that buildings can look nice even with external wiring (he is an architect, so he has to be right), and that concealing the wire poses the threat of fires breaking out inside(as Big B said), which is much more dangerous than an external fire.

Another problem (which can be avoided) is that the people who do the wiring dont do it properly to save cash(since the wiring is all hidden), for example, they dont follow the wiring standards like grounding of the connections, giving proper joints, etc, which is later a danger for those who reside in the building.

Advantages of concealed wiring which I have found out so far (apart from aesthetics) would be no danger of electrocution (if the earthing is done properly), the wires are protected from wearing/deterioration/rodents or careless damage.

So basically what I'm trying to find out is whether people went for concealed wiring due to other reasons than just aesthetics, or are they unaware of the dangers (since wires hidden in the walls "seems" safer), or is it by weighing the advantages and disadvantages of the various wiring methods?
  • Rocker
    Rocker
    Nice thread and lot of useful information posted. Thank you folks!
  • shorty
    shorty
    Thank you all for your help so far.
    I got a new query this time. Does anyone know anything about 'Wood Casing Wiring Method' and 'Batten Wiring Method'? They're both outdated methods of wiring.
  • counder2000
    counder2000
    shorty
    Hi!

I'm currently doing a project on concealed wiring in buildings, for which I need to know:
    1. when did concealed wiring come up in India, and
    2. why (did it replace open wiring)?
    I'm not able to find much information online, I was hoping somebody here could help me. Any extra information on concealed wiring is also welcome.

Thanks!
    outside wiring and concealed wiring are same system the diffrent are clean no wiring on wall and concealed use double ins wiring and on wall wiring use single ins

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Dear Friends, We provide placement oriented professional trainings in mobile communication technologies and mobile application domain.You can join any one of the mentioned training programs based on your interest and...
Hi!! recently i have completed my ccna certification.. n some of my fnzs advise me to do sap basis!! then u have a bright carrer ..To be frank i have...
What country in the world has the best educational system?
Every organisation today, let it be big or small is more or less dependent on computers. In other words, say it like this "We have become techie!". I have often...
Lot of innovation has been done but I wonder not anyone thought about this! I am starting this thread to discuss if it is possible to transfer smell from one...