Computer Casing Modifications

Hey CEans! I'm pretty sure there are many of you who love to modify their computer casings. Would love to see pics of them if possible!

I plan to create a casing entirely from scratch (part of my EXRRIG project).. but thats after I get a Mini-ATX one as a reference. I realized that there are some safety guidelines on proper tolerances as well as ESD shielding for safe operation of the components inside.

The aim of my casing is to reduce internal temperatures by dissipating heat as quick as possible, yet maintaining low costs, mass and complexity.

Looking at the present design of the ATX form factor:

1. Is there a way we can design a better shape?
2. What other materials can we use?
3. What is the best positions to place the air intake and fans?

Wood, despite it being cheap and very easy to fabricate with, would easily trap the heat and is quite heavy.

The concept I was thinking on is based on heat conductivity of metal and optimal airflow design. Metal heatsinks are the obvious examples of this, but having metal pipes going around would make the design quite complex (and possibily heavy). Too much fans can increase noise too.

Common knowledge in computer cases states that air would flow from the bottom of the front side, and exit at the top end at the back. Would it make sense to have air flowing in from all sides of the bottom then? What about putting a fan right at the top side of the casing?

Hope to see some fruitful discussions here 😀

Replies

• Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    *bump*

Haha, so much for "fruitful" discussions. Where are the computer enthusiasts?

Anyway, I am going to order some Perspex (aka Acrylic) material for my next computer build.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    ?
    a porous material? with very minute pores or holes to dissipate heat off?
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Ah, maybe.. as long as hot air can exit and block dust from going inside, that could be possible. Something like the vacuum/airconditioning filter?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hello guys i have a design project. i have been asked to design a shaft of a centrifugal blower(impeller). i dont know where to start actually😔. i still have to...
hi!!!!!!!!!!! can anyone suggest me a good and feasible project topic...... iam a final year student in instrumentation engg.
Hey their guys, my names surf. i've just started my second year of the course and we have been told to come up with project ideas. so far the only...
i m in third year of instrumentation and control engg. want to know about the final year projects and scope of this branch.will u share it with me
CEans, We've discussed this issue number of times before. With CE's rapid growth [for the records' sake, we are adding over 100 new members every day], we must keep the...