closed or isolated system??

hot water kept in well insulated thermos flak is an example of closed system or isolated system??

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Depends.
    In theory it is an isolated system. In reality it is a closed system as mass transfer is prevented. Unless the temperature of the water remains invariant with time it cannot be an isolated system as heat transfer, albeit slowly, still takes place.
  • akash.kasina
    akash.kasina
    theoretically,it cannot be a closed system because in an insulated thermos flask,neither matter,nor energy is transferred.....so it's an example of isolated system,but under practical considerations the container cannot be a perfect insulator of heat...right!!!!
    so it's a closed system practically.๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ‘
  • nibhani
    nibhani
    m.vivekanandan
    hot water kept in well insulated thermos flak is an example of closed system or isolated system??
    it is a closed system because it will transfer heat with surrounding but not transfer mass so it is a closed system...
  • mechky
    mechky
    m.vivekanandan
    In a closed system, no mass transfer takes place across the boundaries. Whereas in case of isolated system, neither mass nor energy transfer occurs across the system boundaries.

So, as bioramani sir said, in reality it is always a closed system as no transfer of mass(water) is taking place. Isolated systems do not exist in reality.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    nibhani
    it is a closed system because it will transfer heat with surrounding but not transfer mass so it is a closed system...
    how can heat transfer take place through an insulated medium ?
  • akash.kasina
    akash.kasina
    nibhani
    assuming the thermos as 100% ideal,heat cannot be exchanged,even practically very small amount is exchanged,thats the reason why we use thermos flasks!!๐Ÿ˜€
  • mechky
    mechky
    zaveri
    akash.kasina
    assuming the thermos as 100% ideal,heat cannot be exchanged,even practically very small amount is exchanged,thats the reason why we use thermos flasks!!๐Ÿ˜€
    Considering a real situation, heat transfer takes place across an insulated thermos flask. I am not aware of any flask in which you can put something warm and it will remain at that temperature forever. So indeed it is a closed system.

However if we assume ideal situations, we can consider it to be a isolated system.
  • nibhani
    nibhani
    zaveri
    heat transfer can't takes place through an insulated meadium..but in practical life perfectly insulated meadium is not possible...
  • m.vivekanandan
    m.vivekanandan
    if this question is asked in exam , i will go with isolated system??
  • vikaskumar11233
    vikaskumar11233
    According to me it is a closed system.As the mass is not transferred.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    m.vivekanandan
    If I were the examiner, I would mark it wrong. No vacuum flask is completely insulating.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • nibhani
    nibhani
    m.vivekanandan
    if this question will be asked in exam you can give the same answer which i have given because it is an actual answer no one can say that its wrong...u can feel it in practical life...
  • nibhani
    nibhani
    m.vivekanandan
    in ideal case it is an example of isolated system...but in practiacal case it is an example of a closed system because fask is well insulated not perfectly insulated....and perfectly insulaated system is not possible in this world..so ideally u can say that it is an isolated syastem but not practiaclly...
  • mechky
    mechky
    m.vivekanandan
    Yes, theoretically we assume it to be isolated system.
  • Kedar Malwadkar
    Kedar Malwadkar
    theoreticaly it is example of isolated system.
  • The myth buster
    The myth buster
    the answer is "closed system"..becoz their is nothing like a perfect insulator..so some transit energy in the form of heat shall always be there..due to this heat interaction between the system(water jar) and the surrounding,the system cannot be justifiably called as an isolated system.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi! just call me jazzie, im a ce graduate and my biggest dream is to become a successful civil engineer like you. but, unfortunately i can't make for some reasons...
LetsBuy.com has been officially shut down and all their traffic is being directed to Flipkart. The company even stopped advertising on the Internet after their acquisition. The homepage of LetsBuy.com...
Facebook is out on the streets shopping and now we know what's the company doing with the billions of dollars they raised by floating an IPO this month. The company...
Government of India has decided to conduct a common test for all engineering admissions in India starting next academic year (2013). The traditional exams like IIT-JEE and AIEEE have been...
MY NAME IS WAQAS I DOING MY BS ELECTRONICS FROM SARHAD UNIVERSITY AND VERY HAPPY TO JOIN U PEOPLES ๐Ÿ˜€