Clarification (well foundation)

Friends I heard that when an ancient temple was renovating engineers found that the foundation's top layer as sand under that mortar of lime and jaggery under that very interestingly gravity well.Does anyone can explain about the construction

Replies

• Anant Jalgaonkar
    Anant Jalgaonkar
    Well foundation is an Indian concept. Long before the British came to India, Indian Engineers (Not called Engineers though in those days) used well foundation to transfer heavy loads through weak soils to good load bearing stratum. Many examples can be cited to name a few Ghats of Vrindavan, Tajmahal, Omkareshwar Ghats etc. Mind you all these examples are situated near Rivers, where you can find deep sand deposits. Sand has very poor Bearing Capacity so the engineers at that times realized about well foundations. Hope this can satisfy your quest about well foundations.!!!!
  • akshay rathore
    akshay rathore
    does well foundation necessarily be situated near rivers , i mean , do they require water to sustain themselves , i thought foundations are damaged due to moisture ?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

i m a final year student civil engineering and i need steel buildings structures plz help me thanks 4 ur time
Facebook msg service is down today and according to the error display they are working on maintenance to provide a better product.
ARAI took the lead in developing a dual fuel automotive engine in India using its pioneering experience and strength in development of CNG and Diesel engines. A report: https://araiindia.com/cpanel/Files/NEW_1032011105312AMARAIUpdate_July2011.pdf
Can anyone give better innovative and engineered ideas(self creatable) ideas to keep a room cool. I am stressing on self creatable as i dont want AC even i cant afford...
Hi* Can some one help me for find a grinding software? I need a software that be able to program five axis grinding. We can't do the grinding machining with...