Challenges faced in designing a Bridge

It is a 1000 years dream project to build Strait of Messina bridge for the people in Italy and sicily. This bridge will be a longest suspension bridge in the world. The two mile long bridge will have 8 lances of traffic and two rail lines.Can carry 4500 cars an hour and 200 trains a day. It can withstand up to 130 mph and survive earthquakes up to 7.1 Richter.

This bridge is considered to be one of the greatest achivement in the field of civil engineering in this 21st century. Engineers have spend nearly 30 years has been spend for only designing the bridge. I like to know what are the prime challenges faced by the engineers for this construction of bridge

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Anyone wants to take this up?
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    You know, I've always thought National Geographic videos to be the best inspiration for Engineers. Such creativity they showcase, particularly in building Megastructures such as the Burj Kalifa, Palm Islands of Dubai, Burg Al-Arab, and many more. I infact have a collection of such videos with me which are awesome and incomparable with any other source of information. The detailing include geographical location, wind flow direction handling, and many more. You should check it out @#-Link-Snipped-#
  • KSS Manian
    KSS Manian
    @#-Link-Snipped-# - Design of suspension bridges is the State-Of-Art. Its surprising, whether they really required 30 years to design 3km suspension bridge. There are many advanced softwares and appliation which can give the results in a hour.
    Usually a design of structure will be done under one roof. Detailing is the second process which takes more time to produce the bom & drawings etc. Detailing was splitted into many segments depending on the construction and distributed to several companies.
    For example, Our company worked for WTC1 in 2008, we get an order for steel connection design of 5 floors instead of 100+ floors. likewise they divided the requirement to finish the work quickly.
    Coming to the design of Bridges. Design concepts varies depending on the type of bridges.
    List Of Bridge Types.
    Lets take suspension bridges. Here i list out some rough design procedures.
    1. Making of design concept.
    2. Checking the material availablity.
    3. Cost estimation.
    4. Surveying.
    5. Soil testing.
    6. Load assumptions including wind, seismic, ice, Max water level and speed of flow more than past 50 years.
    7. Design of foundation.
    8. Design of primary & secondary members.
    9. Complete Analysis using any design applications.
    10. Design of Pre & Post tendons.
    11. Steel connection design.
    12. Detailing - to produce drawings & BOM
    13. Start execution.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

can you just say me whether the principles a re correct or not... GENERATOR: The generator principle is based on faradays laws of electromagnetic induction .when a current carrying conductor...
So, now that we have a blog, it's really important to secure the admin access of our website. I have read some articles and the official WordPress site, for tips...
Most people like me rely on instant coffee for their daily dose of caffeine but connoisseurs like their cup of java made from freshly ground beans. Since trips to your...
It’s official. Motorola Mobility is coming back to India with its new Moto G smartphone in the year 2014. Motorola had shut down its official website for the country at...
As we know, opamp amplifies both ac & dc input signals. I would like to know what could be the resultant output if one terminal is given dc signal &...