Career Advice: Muscian turning engineer

Hi,

I have some questions i'm hoping those of you who are degreed (or near) can help me out with. I'm 37, need to change careers, been a musician most of my life and also some management. I don't consider myself particularly technically adept but think i'm of average intelligence and have ability to learn new things slowly.

If I were to get into a school it would be initially because I would love to have the skill of building and designing tube amplifiers and also guitar effects pedals. (analog better tone) that would be a great thing to know how to do and try and market my products, but I may also have to get a job in the field. 1. What kind of career future is there for engineers? 2. how does it apply to old school analog stuff like vacuum tube amps and analog pedals?

Right now I could get a solder gun (which i've never used) and get a kit with transistors and try my hand at building an effects pedal. But I know that I would want to get really good at it and not be some basement hack.

What do you think? am I crazy? pipe dream?

Looking forward to your replies.

Thanks

Bopplayer

Replies

• Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Re: Musical Instruments

bopplayer
    Hi,

I have some questions i'm hoping those of you who are degreed (or near) can help me out with. I'm 37, need to change careers, been a musician most of my life and also some management. I don't consider myself particularly technically adept but think i'm of average intelligence and have ability to learn new things slowly.

If I were to get into a school it would be initially because I would love to have the skill of building and designing tube amplifiers and also guitar effects pedals. (analog better tone) that would be a great thing to know how to do and try and market my products, but I may also have to get a job in the field. 1. What kind of career future is there for engineers? 2. how does it apply to old school analog stuff like vacuum tube amps and analog pedals?

Right now I could get a solder gun (which i've never used) and get a kit with transistors and try my hand at building an effects pedal. But I know that I would want to get really good at it and not be some basement hack.

What do you think? am I crazy? pipe dream?

Looking forward to your replies.

Thanks

Bopplayer

hiii...

First of all...Grand Welcome to our CE....

😁😁😁

Hope an active participation from you..........
    Here there are so many good people to help you......

WINNERS DONT DO DIFFERENT THINGS.......THEY DO THINGS DIFFERENTLY........
  • bopplayer
    bopplayer
    Thank you for the welcome. I hope to see a flood of advice.

Bopplayer
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    Is this what you're looking for??

URL : #-Link-Snipped-#
    URL : #-Link-Snipped-#
  • gohm
    gohm
    If you solely want to learn to build and theory of tube electronics & amplification, you might better be served by reading textbooks and building projects.

If you wish to earn a degree, increase knowledge in many disciplines then I would suggest going back to school and majoring in electronics. Not sure how much in-depth work would still be focused on tube technology nowdays. Hopefully someone else can chime in with knowledge on that part.
  • bopplayer
    bopplayer
    Hi,

Couple further questions, what kind of skill is required in reverse engineering a circuit?
    say I wanted to make a "clone" of a classic fuzz circuit from the 60's?

How difficult would it be to make an op amp distortion? some op amp distortions sound really horrible but some others have a tightened response, the distortion signal is trimmed down and tightened up. What kind of knowledge does it take to learn this?

Thank you
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    In order to reverse engineer a circuit, you'll need to have a clear understanding of the various parts of the circuit; which can be learned through a course in basic electronic circuit design.

If you wish to make your own circuit, you can refer to many circuit diagrams available on the internet. You'll also find step-by-step instructions as well. That won't need much knowledge of electronics. Just fire up your soldering gun, get the components from the electronics shop and you'll be on the way to creating your own effect 😀 .

Do give it a try. Electronics engineers on CE would love to help you with your first distortion. Most of the electronics can be learned by getting your hands dirty at it.
  • ukanth19
    ukanth19
    try one the best. Nothing is hard
  • bopplayer
    bopplayer
    Thanks. Let me ask you this, some circuit designs the designer will cover in some kind of colored red goop to protect the identity. (Even though they copied it from someone else trying to appear unique) is there a way to get that off to see what parts they used without destroying it?

Also what is "Military spec wiring?" what does that mean?

Thanks
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    Here is a link for military spec wiring company. i think military spec refers to the quality of wire.

#-Link-Snipped-#

more dealers here:

Military Specification Cables
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    bopplayer
    Thanks. Let me ask you this, some circuit designs the designer will cover in some kind of colored red goop to protect the identity. (Even though they copied it from someone else trying to appear unique) is there a way to get that off to see what parts they used without destroying it?

Also what is "Military spec wiring?" what does that mean?

Thanks
    Not sure what you meant. Any example, please?

In the mean time, I found interesting websites. Have a look ->

#-Link-Snipped-#
    Electronic Circuit Diagram – Free electronic circuit design and schematic diagram

[​IMG]

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Can anyone tell what is the power consumed by a wrist watch in one hour😕
Hi, How difficult is it for a beginner with no experience to open up a analog guitar pedal and reverse engineer it? the type where Germanium or Silicon transistors are...
I want to make an explosin detector for my final project. I want to make it for a long range detector. Easy to handle and not to expense that every...
hie all, this would be my first electronics project.I want to make a simple wired toy car,which would be able to also steer as i control it from the wired...
Advantages of 3G mobile over 2G mobile systems😕