Building PLL circuit with three IC's

Hi,

I have to build this PLL circuit and choose any 3 N (integer) of the N-divider. And then I have to observe the input signal Sig_in and the output signal VCO__out for each N. There are 2 schematics(see attached) that I used to build this circuit. The block diagram says 4MHz on one attachment, but 4kHz on the other. I decided to set the frequency to 4kHz because the waveform does not display a nice squarewave when the frequency is too high.
The frequency set on the function generator (FG) is the frequency reference, isn't it or is it not?

For each combination, the resulting frequency is different. So I suspect the problem is the values of the capacitors. There are two capacitors, here and I am not sure what to use. Anyway, I attached the results. I hope you can comment about them. I have to get a "frequency from ELVIS x (N+1)" frequency as a result.
Notice that the waves are locked when N=0 but not when N is not 0 :/ ?

The first three results are when 0.033 microF on pin 13, and 1nF on pin 6&7
The last three results are when 0.033 microF on pin 13, and 10nF on pin 6&7
I tested each circuit with three different N's.

Please explain to me what is the cause for my results and how to correct them!

YOU CAN ZOOM IN MY CIRCUIT TO SEE CLEARLY HOW I BUILT THIS CIRCUIT

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Do make sure whether the orange coloured small piece of wire which I have circled in the diagram is in correct slot.

In my opinion it looks as if it is connected to the next line which you have used for grounding?

Verify it and post the results here IMG_5785
  • Aruwin
    Aruwin
    Jeffrey Samuel
    Do make sure whether the orange coloured small piece of wire which I have circled in the diagram is in correct slot.

In my opinion it looks as if it is connected to the next line which you have used for grounding?

Verify it and post the results here IMG_5785
    There is no mistake there because that is pin 16 which is the pin for power supply. As you can see I have wired the pin to the 5v supply rail.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The latest post from @evleaks on Twitter has managed to reveal the user interface of Nokia Normandy in its full glory. The user interface of Normandy seems to combine the...
When Google announced Google Glass; we almost certainly knew that Google engineers would definitely develop a contact lens that would replace the smart glasses. The good news is that Google[X]...
I have a music CD which is nearly five years old. It is scratched and dirtied in such a way, that it now no longer plays properly in either DVD...
China seems to be competing with Dubai for the coolest buildings in the world. The Italian architecture firm A.M. Progetti has completed work on the doughnut shaped building in China:...
Well, but even with those specs, the Galaxy S5 may not offer a better battery backup. Why? Because the phone has to power a 2K display - that'd make your...