black body radiation problem

if a black body absorbs and emits all the electromagnetic radiation then what is the diff b/w a black body and a mirror(i think it also does the same).

Replies

• TheBugInYou
    TheBugInYou
    How is it stated, that a mirror can absorb/emit electro-magnetic radiation?
  • robo_warrior
    robo_warrior
    it reflect the EM radiations which is incident on it same
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    A black body absorbs all incident electromagnetic radiation on it, irrespective of the frequency or the angle of incidence. At thermal equilibrium, it also emits a radiation known as 'black body radiation'.

Now, assuming you are talking about a glass mirror, it doesn't absorb any radiation. It 'reflects' light. Light is but a tiny fraction of the spectrum of electromagnetic radiation, and only that is reflected. Frequencies outside the visible light spectrum just pass through a mirror. So, how can a mirror and a black body be compared at all?
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    #-Link-Snipped-#

actually there is a lot of difference between a black body and a mirror.

Black body : absorbs radiation completely.

mirror: it is a completely reflective body, and does not absorb any energy or radiation.
  • nibhani
    nibhani
    mirror
    robo_warrior
    if a black body absorbs and emits all the electromagnetic radiation then what is the diff b/w a black body and a mirror(i think it also does the same).
    mirror doesn't absorb radiation it reflect all of radiation..and black body absorbs all of radiation that is ideal case and not possible in practical life...
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    robo_warrior
    The error is in that part of the definition,'...emits all the electromagnetic radiation...'
    An ideal black body radiates energy in the frequency defined by the Planck Law.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    However it will absorb all frequencies incident on it. It is a different matter that such absorption may raise the temperature of the black body making it re radiate energy . However this re radiation will be in a frequency spectrum defined by the Planck law.
    A reflector on the other hand just throws back whatever that falls on its surface. A coloured reflector will absorb the complimentary colours to its colour. A red reflector will absorb green frequencies.
  • SYED BASEERULLAH
    SYED BASEERULLAH
    DEFINITION OF BLACK BODY IS that it will absorb all incident radiation and then it will give up all the radiations .
    In case of mirror only phenomenon of reflection takes place and not absorption.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Same as above. Hi. I just joined. 😀
share us your opinion about this view if Science can explain EVERYTHING.... 👍
Hi, Has anyone performed a dynamic analysis for the bleachers ? I am doing this analysis using SAP2000, modeling my support which is the raker beam and the bleacher, assigning...
Japanese company OPTON has created an award winning pipe bender called T-WIN20 KDM. The robot can bend pipes with parts attached - something that is considered very difficult. It also...
People were disappointed that iPhone 5 wasn't announced at the WWDC 2012. But that hasn't stopped the fanboys from dissecting the keynotes and find out ways to draw conclusions. The...