Bisection method in matlab

Friends i write a code of bisection method in matlab.
Here a function named 'ammaraziz' is present. i want to modify this code such that the programme requests user to enter the function and also the lower and higher limits. so help me that what modifications are necessary. Actually i am new to matlab. So help me out to solve this problem the code is as follows:

clear all
clc
ammaraziz = @(x) sin(x);

x_lwr = 0;

x_hgr = 5;

x_mid = (x_lwr + x_hgr)/2;

while abs(ammaraziz(x_mid))>0.01

if (ammaraziz(x_mid) * ammaraziz(x_hgr)) < 0
x_lwr = x_mid;

else
x_hgr = x_mid;

end

end

fprintf ('The root is %g
' , x_mid)

ezplot(ammaraziz) 

Update: Answer

Sure, to request the user to input the function and the upper and lower bounds, you can use the input function in MATLAB. However, for the function input, it's a bit trickier because MATLAB requires the function to be defined beforehand or to be inputted as a function handle.

I've modified your code below:

clear all

clc

% User inputs for function, lower and upper bounds

fun_str = input('Please enter the function in terms of x: ', 's');

x_lwr = input('Enter the lower limit: ');

x_hgr = input('Enter the upper limit: ');

% Converting string to function handle

ammaraziz = str2func(['@(x)', fun_str]);

while abs(ammaraziz(x_mid))>0.01

if (ammaraziz(x_mid) * ammaraziz(x_hgr)) < 0

x_lwr = x_mid;

else

x_hgr = x_mid;

end

end

fprintf ('The root is %g\n' , x_mid)

% Create a figure and plot the function 

figure

fplot(ammaraziz, [x_lwr, x_hgr])

In the modified code, input is used to take the string of function from the user, and lower and upper bounds. str2func is then used to convert the function string into a function handle. The rest of the code remains the same.

Keep in mind that when you enter the function, it should be in a format that MATLAB understands. For example, you should write x.^2 for x squared, not x^2. The dot is needed for element-wise operations when x is a vector (which it can be when used in plotting or other MATLAB functions).

In the last line, fplot is used instead of ezplot to plot the function. fplot is more flexible and it takes the function handle directly (while ezplot does not). You need to specify the plotting range, here the entered bounds [x_lwr, x_hgr] are used.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I had a liking to know about magnetic beds. And also want to know if they are safe to use them. If they are using sames poles to repel each...
Folks, i've often wondered why we still use bikes with gear shifters on the foot side. In this fast moving world, doesn't that seem to slow things down? Why not...
It's great to be welcomed to this great site! I am an older guy, living in Tampa, FL with my wife. I'm a programmer at Elavon, Inc, a subsidiary of...
Just a few hours ago, Japanese electronics and gaming giant, Sony unveiled the future of Playstation and officially announced the Playstation 4 console. The company showed new gaming engines and...
😀 Good day! I would like to ask if you can suggest any references for programming PIC microcontroller specifically the PIC16f84A using MPLAB?