BIOS problem

hi frndz,

my first question is,
Q1> IS there any lifespan for BIOS from the date of purchase?
OR
Is it neccessary to update the BIOS after 6 to 7 yrs.

if yes then my second question is,

Q2> what is the process of updating the BIOS?

😁

Replies

• optimystix
    optimystix
    sushant005
    hi frndz,

my first question is,
    Q1> IS there any lifespan for BIOS from the date of purchase?
    OR
    Is it neccessary to update the BIOS after 6 to 7 yrs.

if yes then my second question is,

Q2> what is the process of updating the BIOS?

😁
    1] the BIOS chip in itself doesnt have a fixed lifespan. It is an electronic device and may go kaput even on the 1st day. it all depends on the usage. But a BIOS chip needs to be update with the latest firmware atleast every 2-3 years(considering the smaller tech cycle in recent times).
    The reason behind this is that almost every year newer technologies is arriving for the consumer market and the BIOS needs to be updated about them. For eg. very few motherboards have their BIOS updated with the information for USB 3.0 and thus around next year when you plan to add a USB 3.0 card on your PCI slot, you will need to update the firmware of the BIOS to the latest one to make it work properly.
    Any new information that comes, needs to be written onto the BIOS chip for it to work properly and this is done by BIOS FLASHING

2] to learn how to flash the BIOS, check the links below

#-Link-Snipped-#

#-Link-Snipped-#

How to flash your bios - BIOS upgrade

for videos explaining how to flash the bios, search "how to flash bios" in YouTube , #-Link-Snipped-# and other video sites
  • saurabh2486
    saurabh2486
    thereis nolifespan as such but if ur having problems after installing new components like updating your processor or RAM then you should update your BIOS as this might make it stable and for overclocking also it is recommended to have updated BIOS
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    saurabh2486
    thereis nolifespan as such but if ur having problems after installing new components like updating your processor or RAM then you should update your BIOS as this might make it stable and for overclocking also it is recommended to have updated BIOS
    updating processor ? if u mean adding a new one, then it has to be the same type to be fitting on the same socket and as such there wont be a need to update bios for that. a bios update for a processor is not needed unless there's a jump in some technology in the new processor. for example, changing from the p4 to p4 HT would require an update.

same case with ram. an upgrade in amount of ram of same type doesnt require bios update. remember that if you are on ddr2 your upgrade will be ddr2 only as upgrading to ddr3 will require motherboard change.

also, its not that an updated bios is recommended for overclocking. The fact is that there are some particular series of BIOS firmware which gives best support for overclocking. Ofcourse these depend on the motherboard and the series of processor one is trying to overclock too. Thus its not necessary to to upgrade the bios to the latest one. For overclocking, one may even require flashing and downgrading to a particular version which gives best support for OC

bios is a very delicate thing and as such should not be played with. only the newer motherboards have support for easy flashing and updating of the bios.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

First of all, I would like to thank the whole team of CrazyEngineers for wishing me on my birthday! πŸ˜€ And I wanted to ask if anyone could give me...
Wishing our moderator, CEan MaRo a very happy & prosperous Birthday! 😁 😁😁😁 May your dreams come true and Project QREO attain newer heights! πŸŽ‰Party On! 😁
uBuntu fans, Beta 1 version of uBuntu 10.4 is available for download. Of course, since this is beta software, its not recommended for installation on production machines. Get your copy...
Name: -=[ TH3L3G3ND ]=- *Engineering Trade: COMPUTER SCIENCE Location: INDIA *Occupation: I AM A STUDENT Work Experience: - *Hobbies & Interests: I LOVE TO EXPLORE NEW THINGS AND FIND WAYS...
iWork suite: Apple has created a version of its iWork productivity suite optimised for the large, touch-screen interface of the iPad. Users can download the three programs – Pages, the...