Best PHP Editor & Why?

I have used notepad, notepad++ and dreamweaver at different times, but I think Engineers who regularly write PHP Code use different and better editors.

Which one is the best and why?

Replies

Welcome, guest

Join CrazyEngineers to reply, ask questions, and participate in conversations.

CrazyEngineers powered by Jatra Community Platform

  • Manish Goyal

    @manish-r2Hoep • Nov 6, 2011

    Eclipse is the best, it has all the functionality that you expect in an ideal IDE

  • eternalthinker

    @eternalthinker-Kvsi5Y • Nov 6, 2011

    I haven't yet used an IDE for PHP editing, but Notepad++ works awesomely for me in all web related development.

    How much an IDE would be advantageous over proper use of Notepad++, you have to see for yourself!

    In Npp, you have the simplicity and better intimacy with your code ๐Ÿ˜€

  • Manish Goyal

    @manish-r2Hoep • Nov 6, 2011

    yeah , but for large project consisting of over 50000 files then you have to use IDE , otherwise I too prefer NPP

  • Sahithi Pallavi

    @sahithi-oJZaYj • Nov 7, 2011

    I have used both Notepad++ and Eclipse for php. I guess Notepad++ is good enough for our work.

  • Sagar Sutariya

    @sagar-sutariya-dyeK8l • Nov 9, 2011

    I am mostly use Dreamweaver and according to me it's best one

  • clo
    clo

    @clo-hfTepe • Nov 16, 2011

    I vote for <a href="https://www.codelobster.com" target="_blank" rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer">CodeLobster - Free portable PHP IDE with support Drupal, Smarty, Twig, WordPress, Joomla, JQuery, CodeIgniter, HTML, CSS, JavaScript, AngularJS, CakePHP, Facebook, Laravel, Phalcon, Symfony, Yii</a>
    It is best free PHP IDE ๐Ÿ˜€

  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman

    @praveenkumar-66Ze92 • Dec 22, 2011

    I would personally recommend two:
    1. Microsoft Expression Web for its good support for syntax highlighting and code completion.
    2. Netbeans for syntax highlighting and code completion, and also hot-linking the calls to the declaration / definition.

  • Pensu

    @pensu-8tNeGU • Dec 22, 2011

    I use Dreamweaver and its working quite good for me.

  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman

    @praveenkumar-66Ze92 • Dec 22, 2011

    PensuI use Dreamweaver and its working quite good for me.

    For PHP?

  • Pensu

    @pensu-8tNeGU • Dec 22, 2011

    Praveen-KumarFor PHP?

    Yup, for PHP.

  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman

    @praveenkumar-66Ze92 • Dec 22, 2011

    PensuYup, for PHP.

    Heard it has the least support. That's why was curious to know... ๐Ÿ˜€ Which version, by the way?

  • Pensu

    @pensu-8tNeGU • Dec 22, 2011

    Its CS4, may be i am not using it to that extent.....๐Ÿ˜€

  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman

    @praveenkumar-66Ze92 • Dec 22, 2011

    PensuIts CS4, may be i am not using it to that extent.....๐Ÿ˜€

    That's okay... You know what? Netbeans IDE 7.0.1 has code lookup and more features... It is awesome, you should try! ๐Ÿ˜€

  • Pensu

    @pensu-8tNeGU • Dec 22, 2011

    Praveen-KumarThat's okay... You know what? Netbeans IDE 7.0.1 has code lookup and more features... It is awesome, you should try! ๐Ÿ˜€

    Hmmmm.....will try for sure....๐Ÿ˜€

  • Abhishek Swain

    @abhishek-swain-fFTK9k • Dec 28, 2011

    AbraKaDabraI have used notepad, notepad++ and dreamweaver at different times, but I think Engineers who regularly write PHP Code use different and better editors.

    Which one is the best and why?

    Friends, every software brand is well aware of the product which it designs. However it the person who codes and is comfortable with the particular tool.
    At initial stages, using Dreamweaver would be a difficult task, but later on it produces very productive results.
    For best performance and ease of use, use Adobe Dreamweaver CS5.

  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman

    @praveenkumar-66Ze92 • Dec 28, 2011

    I would doubt for the performance in CS5, if you don't have at least i3! ๐Ÿ˜”

  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman

    @praveenkumar-66Ze92 • Dec 28, 2011

    I doubt the performance part about Adobe Dreamweaver CS5, if you don't have at least i3 Processor! ๐Ÿ˜”

  • praba230890

    @praba230890-vPFAoQ • Dec 28, 2011

    For a light weight app jEdit is a notable๐Ÿ˜จ one, but it needs the love of Java๐Ÿ‘Ž to run. PhpStorm and NetBeans were also good to go with IDE's๐Ÿ‘ , I think so.

  • Kaustubh Katdare

    @thebigk • Dec 28, 2011

    For basic PHP stuff, notepad and notepad++ work the best.