Battery that charges on air

LITHIUM AIR BATTERIES

Arthur Dobley, metal air battery scientist, explains “Li-air batteries breathe oxygen from the air, and allow it to react with the Li metal anode. These are constructed in layers, like a sandwich, of the lithium metal anode, separator with electrolyte and then the air cathode . the air cathode is the critical part, and that is where oxygen enters to cells and reacts.”
PROF. Peter J. Hall explains:
“The capacity of Li-air batteries is 10-20 times greater than traditional Li-ion batteries. These will also be considerably cheaper as they contain very little heavy metal content”.
These are environment friendly.
Lithium content in them can be recycled.
Li-air battery is very lighter than Li-ion battery.

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Hey can you post pics and also the cell eqn of the battery
  • sowmiya vd
    sowmiya vd
    i dont know the equation!!!
    anode,cathode and electrolyte is
    ANODE:
    Anode is composed of a lithium metal foil.
    Its is pressed into a nickel mesh current collector.
    The area of anode is slightly larger than the cathode by 10 cm-sq.
    SEPARATOR & ELECTROLYTE:
    Setela, an organic polymer, is used as the separator and the liquid electrolyte used is ethyl carbonate, diethyl carbonate and dimethyl carbonate.
    CATHODE:
    cathode composite carbon, a metal catalyst and a binder deposited on metal collector.
    The binder is Teflon combined with latex and the metal current collector is nickel.
    On both sides of metal current collector, two layers of carbon, binder and catalyst mixtures are deposited.
    A thin Teflon film between the air cathode and the atmosphere repels atmospheric water but allows oxygen diffusion

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    A few months back, an article appeared in the Scientific American that discusses the Lithium-Air batteries.
    Check -
    #-Link-Snipped-#

It says at the end that it might take a decade for this innovation to materialize, but I think some of the crazy engineers here can shorten that time-gap. 👍 Keep pouring your ideas here.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    The problem I find is very simple best way of coupling the environmental free oxygen to the cathode of the cell the proper elemental procedure is not so great till date
  • lal
    lal
    Does that mean its kind of renewable!
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Not exactly renewable it is going to breathe in oxygen and ehale some other liquid mostly water i guess but if it is rechargeable then it is worth trying out otherwise given the efficiency it is a poor design

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The technology would allow doctors to monitor patients' condition and apply appropriate treatment from inside the body, without the need to remove it afterwards. Devices which could internally measure patients'...
hi all, my interrogation is about the temperature reinforcement and whether it should be added to the reinf't required for the bending. What i usually do is that i take...
I am new in this site. I am a final year student and want suggestions for major project topics....😀
can anyone who did 6months training at NIC or other govt. companies tell me about the experience .
I need to know what are research opportunities in India after BE / BTech. -One is give GATE, then MTech & later PhD programme -GATE, then MS in any IITs...