Backward class reservation: Is it needed still ?

I am speaking about the reservations which our great mother (land) is providing for so called backward class.... My first question is still how many years will this go on? Really sometimes it so happens that there is no value for studying . . Just because of this reason, in many areas india is still backward.. Plz end this treat everyone equally

Replies

• sanks85
    sanks85
    yes thats the area where india still needs development...but we all know the government of india will never let it happen because the base of indian government is the votebank of such communities only.....
  • cooltwins
    cooltwins
    yeah even i am frustrated with the special treatment the backward classes are getting. it is not that i think they do not deserve spl. treatment but spl. treatment of different kind must be given.

i've seen girls with some 182 cut off out of 200 walk away with govt. university seats while we FC students with 197 cut off had to settle for some private college seats.

reducing the cut off marks for admission into colleges is surely not gonna help. they will end up in a bad situation where they won't be able to cope with the advancing portions and tough competitions they face from their fellow college mates.

but if the govt. is bent on giving some special treatment to backward classes it should be in the form of free books or some govt. coaching centers to coach them and make them really worthy of the seat they get.

that would be a really nice initiative won't it?

i do not mean to be rude to anyone. this is what i felt the moment i came out of my counselling 2 years back with admission to some pvt. coll. and really saw a girl with lesser cut off walk away with a govt. coll. seat.
  • suman.mathad
    suman.mathad
    Yes... Even i am feeling the same.. My friend who had got 35,000 ranks difference with me is now in a branch which i dreamed for! But my dream just vanished when i entered the councelling session ... So friends just think can WE stop this ?? Please think what can we do through this FORUM to make our future generations get what they need........... .
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    Yes i agree with you....this is a serious issue.....they are no more backward class...u can't say an I.A.S. backward.....but this is dirty politics of india...politicians only know the language of votes......
  • callyD
    callyD
    Agree with above comments. If its for the upliftment of downtrodden, reservation can be there but no way reservation is justified in the higher education and other similar fronts.
  • ethical hacker
    ethical hacker
    agree with you suman....
    we should think about this
  • thechamp
    thechamp
    this would turn into a mere discussion until WE take step. and step is to come into politics to revamp it. forget about shouting, protesting in front of these demagogs its futile.
  • suman.mathad
    suman.mathad
    That is correct.. So think cean's is there any solution for this ?
  • thechamp
    thechamp
    the problem lies in all of us actually. we all want to be the part of discussions only to show that we are concerned over it, but no one takes initiative. so whats wrong with those politicians, why would they stop until they have someone to resist them.
  • suman.mathad
    suman.mathad
    Let us START it then. .. we will place this in front of every cean and ask their opinion and if it worked ..we shall spread this message to every school and college i mean to everYone πŸ˜€. . Is it possible
  • lakhan
    lakhan
    The problem of reservation really a hurdle for its development πŸ˜” mere giving reservations does not solve the problem πŸ˜•I really don't no when this comes to an end.by seeking the present politics i think that this will remain for yearsπŸ˜’ reservation should not be on the basis of castes but it should be in terms of poverty line :sshhh:so that there is all the people of our country can be benefited.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I am not really aware of this caste system, but as engineers we'd need to provide practical solutions from the grassroots. If politics is the hurdle, there must be ways to ignore that limitation and directly help those that are less fortunate.

- What limits access to education?
    Can we still learn valuable knowledge without physically attending an institute? (online learning?) Materials can be provided with free access.

Have an initiative where people can implement what they learn in real life situations? (project workshops and seminars? robotics seem to be a good approach). You don't need "experts" to host these courses, even students can do them.

It must be noted that any "caste" barriers are seen as transparent, and see your fellow countryman as one who strives to gain knowledge just like you. If you have the capability to help, then it would be nice to volunteer in initiatives like mentioned above.

We can voice out to the government about improving things.. but in parallel, we should just start taking things into our own hands and do things. Once you see the benefits of your initiatives, others WILL take notice.
  • Vega
    Vega
    I think reservation in education should still be there for few more years but reservation in jobs should be removed now. Once you educate people and bring them on equal level in society, there is no reason to give reservation in jobs.
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    I wont accept any kind of reservation !
  • thechamp
    thechamp
    @vega
    sorry, but i dont comply with your statement. reservation in anything should not be acceptable. Why give someone (who does not deserve as much as the other does) a seat for which others toil and crave for.
    there are other helps that could be given like monetary, or free coaching, full fee concession if selected.

reservation in job is as bad as reservation in education. if i am waiting in a long queue for 4-5 hours, why should someone come and stand ahead of me just because of his/her caste.
  • lakhan
    lakhan
    yes iam very much impressed with ash ideas.
  • gaurav.bhorkar
    gaurav.bhorkar
    In my opinion, everybody is equal and there shouldn't be any kind of reservation for anybody.

I'd appreciate reservation to poor class though.
  • Smell Smoke
    Smell Smoke
    No, RESERVATION should take a different turn,if you ask me.
    See there are still people who are poor and not in a position to get good education.
    The reason for them not getting into good institutions are because that they are not getting good support during their school days etc..
    So government should take a step so that these poor guys are given special coaching, books and everything needful for them to study at first.Then let him battle in an impartial war.
    If they prove they are worthy,then they should definitely prosper, else lets give them another chance, but no easy way in.
  • suman.mathad
    suman.mathad
    Yes that gives a better meaning for Reservation..we shall reserve opportunity for their talent not jobs
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I think backward classes mean people with less money and less opportunities so far.

It shouldn't be about caste. People from higher caste but from a poor background have to suffer from huge fees in education.

This system sucks more...day by day!
  • gaurav.bhorkar
    gaurav.bhorkar
    AbraKadabra
    I think backward classes mean people with less money and less opportunities so far.

It shouldn't be about caste. People from higher caste but from a poor background have to suffer from huge fees in education.

This system sucks more...day by day!
    Well said!

Reservation should be given on economic grounds and not on any caste base. There are 'backward class' people who are very rich, still they get scholarship from the government, just because they are from the 'backward classes'.

I bet, reservation based on economic grounds is very difficult to implement because of the crooks out there in the society, who earn their bread and butter manipulating the certificates required.
  • sbscetferozpur
    sbscetferozpur
    problem is that we always talk about such problems but no one is taking initiative to work upon it...
    we unite together for talk but not for action....
  • 4M4N
    4M4N
    sanks85
    yes thats the area where india still needs development...but we all know the government of india will never let it happen because the base of indian government is the votebank of such communities only.....
    well said and very true also, till the dirty politics is there in india , development in this area is very difficult
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    actually here goes that they are mainly conveying for poor people but corruption made rich people getting money
    thats happening no one is opposing it and no one is daring to keep stop for such politics and bloody corruption
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    Another thread which discusses the same thing.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • shreyasm89
    shreyasm89
    This topic reflects the generl mood of engineering students like us who have got an engg. seat with great difficulty while people with lower marks ease their way to premier colleges. But the fact of the matter is that this is such a topic that we'll need a national movement akin Gandhiji's satyagraha to hope for any change. There are too many fragmented groups in the country who are demanding reservations right now & we can't do anything about it. It is the mentality that has to change. Entire political parties are built on these divisive & unfair ideologies, it would require an absolute monarchy to change the prevalent system.
    @AKD- What you said is spot on, but it is really difficult to categorise people on the basis of income because that will increase corruption due to forged documents
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    @Shreyasm89: True. The topic is only discussed by the students and their families who suffer due to prevailing reservation system. The majority of the ones who enjoy the privileges of the system would never utter a word against the system.

Categorizing people on any basis doesn't feel the right thing to do. But if the system demands it, doing so on the basis of people's earning potential only makes it a little just.

It's time for this generation's revolutionaries to take charge. I wonder if that could happen any time soon. :roll:
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    Dear shreyas,
    Let me make it straight.

Please look at the 26th post here. You see a link, don't you? Please click the link and view the post number seven. I can give you hundreds, no, thousands of examples like that. View that and then do edit your comment. I am sure you will. 😁
  • shreyasm89
    shreyasm89
    @aj- I totally understand your point that the reservation system is unfair & that is what I've implied through my post.(Guess my fault lies in not impressing upon that particular aspect!)Nevertheless what I meant is that on a practical level you & me can't change anything about it because it is a matter involving a lot at stake. Its not only about votes, consider this, if you were the head of a political party would you risk removing reservations through a bill inparliament. The truth is nobody will able to muster up enough support for passing such a bill.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

there has been no thread giving out seminar topics or project ideas for civil engineering students in CE. so here i start a new thread for my fellow engineers who...
hello all. I am Surya , doing my B.tech in ECE group( 1st year ).
Please give me topics for network programming projects.....
as we all know the html source codes can be get it from the browser menu i.e by clicking view menu and then on page source....is there anyway to make...
can anyone tell me the solution for this... πŸ˜• An rcc column with effective length of 6m and size 250*450 mm is subjected to an axial load of 900kN. design...