As mass around us increases , what happens to time?

Recently I saw a program in TV.The conclusion of the program is as mass around us increases , the time will reduce.

I know the above sentence is confusing.Let us clear it with an example.

If we are standing beside a pyramid and if we see the vehicles or anything that is somewhat far from you , they will appear to be in slow motion than they actually are.(i.e., time runs slowly)

I want to know the scientific reason behind this.

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    gwendollen
    I know the above sentence is confusing.Let us clear it with an example.

If we are standing beside a pyramid and if we see the vehicles or anything that is somewhat far from you , they will appear to be in slow motion than they actually are.(i.e., time runs slowly)
    Oh no!
    Even you're standing on a ground with no pyramids around you, You'll still find that any object that's far from your eyesight is moving slow because the focus area of eye is increased .
    I don't think, this relates anything to "speed of time".
    It's mere optics theory.

Let's take an example : You're sitting in an open-bus going to Khandala. You're looking at the white stripes of the road, you'll find that they're moving at god-speed.

While the trees which are at pretty good distance, are moving at slow speed.
    This is related to focal length or focus area (pardon me, I dont know the proper term) of your eye. Nothing to do with speed of time.
  • Sindhu Chowdary
    Sindhu Chowdary
    Abhishek Rawal
    Oh no!
    Even you're standing on a ground with no pyramids around you, You'll still find that any object that's far from your eyesight is moving slow because the focus area of eye is increased .
    I don't think, this relates anything to "speed of time".
    It's mere optics theory.

Let's take an example : You're sitting in an open-bus going to Khandala. You're looking at the white stripes of the road, you'll find that they're moving at god-speed.

While the trees which are at pretty good distance, are moving at slow speed.
    This is related to focal length or focus area (pardon me, I dont know the proper term) of your eye. Nothing to do with speed of time.

You may be right.But I dont think that it does not relate to time.
    Even Einstein quoted that "Scale of space and time can be distorted by any massive object.The closer you are to a mass,the more the time slows down.And the more massive the object,the more the time slows down.But in daily life this effect is slight to notice".
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    gwendollen
    Really?
    Then why we are taking example of a pyramid only, any multi story building should also have the same effect, right?

I live in a high rise apartment and never experienced this. Not sure you wanted to point out something else??

-CB
  • Sindhu Chowdary
    Sindhu Chowdary
    crazyboy
    Really?
    Then why we are taking example of a pyramid only, any multi story building should also have the same effect, right?

I live in a high rise apartment and never experienced this. Not sure you wanted to point out something else??

-CB

I am quoting pyramid because of its high mass.When compared to the mass of a pyramid , an apartment's mass doesn't count.Also I mentioned that in our daily life this effect is slight to notice.

read this #-Link-Snipped-#

Since I came cross this twice when I am reading about space-time and even in TV , I thought of clarifying it.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    #-Link-Snipped-# is right , it's merely just optical theory and does not relate with Einstein's theory.
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    My biggest problem with theory of relativity has always been to decipher what is slowing down of time?
  • priyesh_kolte
    priyesh_kolte
    As per my understanding it has to do with gravity. We all know that in black hole time line won't continues and time stops while passing through it. The reason behind this as scientists concluded is huge gravitational force. So it is considered that in whole void universal space where there is huge mass object with gravitation force influence , space around it experience a slight decreases in time line. (This decrease is very tiny) and also mass to be consider has to be sufficiently large like mass of earth or jupiter. This happens in our satellites . A time adjusting device is provided in satellites to control the time in space. If it won't be there time in satellite goes faster than on earth because it is in space.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Well relativity can't be explained with examples around you

Your pyramid example is clearer

Let me explain it with curvature in space time

Well In the case of Sun it has say a mass of 10 and so the time is curved there which can be seen by the nature of bending of light near it

Now A Neutron star which is just the same size of earth has mass almost million times that of Sun The curvature due to this star is really high and Thus time gets dilated here That is it appears to be slower
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    You dont really think that time also has some speed and pace of its own to maintain. Time is not a quantifiable object. It is a mere relative measure of speed at which motion or any task happens. It is a completely different dimension. Maybe this is true but that is not yet quantified and that clearly does not have any type of effect in your daily activities.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Mate pls be sure of the post you make

Time is the fourth dimension of reference used for all calculations Four Dimensional Space
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    If it is a dimension it can't a relative variation of other dimensions. It has it's own definite period and it is well defined in a region

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

As we know, In Analog communication in air medium between two antennas from transmitter to receiver, in transmitter end; the information signal is sent with the carrier signal & modulation...
I am opting for various softwares for my expertise is it worth to spend some extra money on gaining certificates from Autodesk or just knowledge is enough? Secondly should i...
This silly question popped into my mind just now. We know that vacuum means space or place that contains no matter.Isn't it? We use vacuum cleaners to remove all the...
Nissan has launched it's two new variants to the Nissan Micra car with a facelifted 2013 version and the Nissan Micra Active XE. After having sold more than 43,000 units...
Though XOLO is not a big name in smart phone arena, still latest launch from XOLO seems to be impressive when we compare the price with the features and specifications....