Are competitive exams like GRE, GMAT, IELTS, TOEFL etc an invitation to Brain Drain?

Well, this is the biggest thing that has been in my mind lately. India has been a developing country since a lot of time. How far is this legible for a student in India to go abroad for studies and work there. The ladder to go for any courses abroad are the exams like GRE, TOEFL etc. In my view, they do contribute to brain drain unless a student finishes his/her studies and come back and work in India which is very rare. I have seen very bright students dream of going to US and get settled there. Why those people who shout about serving the nation and doing anything for the nation step back when the real time comes?

What do you guys think?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ...your argument assumes that the 'brains' that chose to go out of India are the only ones who could have contributed to India's development. The culture of 'patriotism' and 'serving the nation' is deliberately not cultivated at least in countries like India.

The problem of development of any country cannot be attributed to the people who go out of country; but the performance of those who work in their own country.
  • Neeraj Sharma
    Neeraj Sharma
    Ahh no you got me wrong. I am not saying that those who go out are the only brainy ones but brain drain is still an issue. We all know of the education system here. Then if someone goes out and gets much better education then why not come back and contribute here
  • Neeraj Sharma
    Neeraj Sharma
    The_Big_K
    The problem of development of any country cannot be attributed to the people who go out of country; but the performance of those who work in their own country.
    I loved this line really....
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    This was the topic for my GD
    anyway ,If I say as an Indian, brain drain is a serious issue. But personally people who go to studies abroad get used to that environment, culture etc. They get a comfortable dust free environment and started liking that place.

Secondly, the society.
    If a person finished his studies in abroad , returns to India ... He/ She will be framed as such... Since he/she dint get job over there, that's why returned to India.
  • tmaster
    tmaster
    Have you seen how the country treats those who choose to go into the organised sector in India?

If India wanted to prevent brain drain, they would treat the salaried and entrepreneur classes a bit better

Yet, all they are used as is for funding populist schemes while being given nothing in return
  • tmaster
    tmaster
    Nick_Sharma
    Ahh no you got me wrong. I am not saying that those who go out are the only brainy ones but brain drain is still an issue. We all know of the education system here. Then if someone goes out and gets much better education then why not come back and contribute here
    Because the govt. treats you like s**t
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Nick_Sharma
    Why not build Taxashila and Nalanda here?
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    To an extent, this is kinda brain drain, if people study there and get employed there! One thing is, we can get more opportunities to explore in the field of education and moreover, industry ready! The best example would be MIT, having their own licence of Internet Software.

We have a bunch of IITs in India and does even one have their own licence? Any outcome of it? We are using jQuery almost daily worldwide. And Microsoft has also included it in their latest versions of Visual Studio! This is licensed under MIT Licence! Why not IITs could do something related? This is the reason India is bad in Academics.

Once an Indian gets educated out of India and comes here to start a business, yeah, it will not be a brain drain and it would be an addition to the Indian Industry... 😀 So, I guess, as said in 3 Idiots, if the Indian Education System gets matured, there won't be any brain drain and it would be great to have research oriented studies here... 😀

Makes sense??? 😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Various sources on the Internet are reporting that the Redmond giant is aiming for October 2012 release of their latest Windows 8 operating system across desktops and laptops. The initial...
Name: Shashank Sharma *Engineering Trade: MCA Location: Noida, India *Occupation: Working as Sr. Software Engineer, in Noida, India Work Experience: 4.5 Yrs, worked on various technologies ranging from VB 6.0,...
Samsung has silently launched the SamsungIndiaEStore.com website to sell their products online to Indian customers. The store is operated by savex computers ltd. which also is the national distributor of...
I was surfing the net and came across that Samsung and few more are working towards launching a digital camera with Android as OS for it with gr8 features for...
It was in news that the car makers in India have stated that the hike in prices is applicable only to the products that will be dispatched after 16th March....