Answer with detailed steps?

In an enhancement of a design of a CPU, the speed of a floating point until has been increased by 20% and the speed of a fixed point unit has been increased by 10%. What is the overall speedup achieved if the ratio of the number of floating point operations to the number of fixed point operations is 2:3 and the floating point operation used to take twice the time taken by the fixed point operation in the original design?
(A) 1.155 (B) 1.185 (C) 1.255 (D) 1.285

Replies

• sookie
    sookie
    Let say the total no. of instructions to be executed is 100
    By the ratio of 2:3
    Floating point instructions N(Ft): 40
    Fixed point instruction N(Fd): 60

Before scenario
    Time taken to process a floating point instruction T(Ft):2 units
    Time taken to process a fixed point instruction T(Fd): 1 unit

Total time to execute T(B)=N(Ft) * T(Ft) + N(Fd) * T(Fd)=40*2+60*1=140 units

After scenario
    When speed of floating point processing is increased by 20% means time to execute a floating instruction in reduced by 20%
    Before T(Ft) was 2 units
    Now time taken to process a floating point instruction T(Ft):2 - 20% of 2 =1.6 units (After)

Similarly speed of fixed point processing is increased by 10% hence
    Before T(Fd) was 1 units
    Now time taken to process a fixed point instruction T(Fd): 1 - 10% of 1=0.9 units (After)

Total time to execute T(A)= 40*1.6+60*0.9=118units

So Speed up gained is T(B)/T(A) =140/118=1.186 (approx)

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

๐Ÿ˜ i Am from India, This is my second year in graduation,I am perfect in networking,programming,webscripting(CSS,PHP,HTML,XML),C#,C,JAVA,Python,VB,SQL but not in C++,i have done a Three year Computer Diploma Course from NIIT.I...
how we know the owner of mobile no. on it's mobile no.
PLEASE LET ME KNOW FROM WHERE I SHOULD AQUIRE MY PG COURSE IN HIGHWAY AND TRANSPORT ENGINEERING TO GET MAXIMUM PRACTICAL AND HIGHLY TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE IN WORLD.
WHILE YOU TAKE A TWO PICTURES OF AN ANYTHING WITHOUT ANY MOVEMENT IN CAMERA,THEN THE CHANGE IN THE TWO IMAGES MUST BE DETECTED
Let us discuss the options for Summer Training After 3rd Year B.E./B.Tech For Computer Engineers in this thread.