Ammunition cartrige brass annealing

May 8, 2011Hello Everyone:

I'm not an engineer. But I am always interested in the #-Link-Snipped-# behind things. I'm an avid reloader of ammunition and work with brass cases alot. Today an issue came up where this person presented his friend's process for annealing brass:

#-Link-Snipped-#

For those of you who don't enjoy this #-Link-Snipped-#, we anneal brass to remove the effects of work hardening to make it last longer. When a cartrige is fired, it expands to seal the firearm chamber. When we reload it, we squeeze the case back to size by running it through a series of dies. This work hardens the brass and it eventually splits. When we anneal the case, we heat the bullet end of an empty case untill it glows in hopes of softening it. We do not heat the whole case because we want the bottom of the case hard in odrer to preserve it's strength.

In the above thread, the gentleman heats the whole case until it glows, then quenches it in used motor oil. He does this twice. Being you are the masters of metal, could you explain what is happening to the brass?

Thanks,

-918v

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Lecture Series on Computer Aided Design by Dr.Anoop Chawla, Department of Mechanical Engineering ,IIT Delhi. Feel free to discuss. 😀 [video=youtube;QnVH9N1eIc4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnVH9N1eIc4[/video]
There has been a long-lived bit of Apollo moon landing folklore that now appears to be a dead-end affair: microbes on the moon. The lunar mystery swirls around the Apollo...
hi I am nimish from Mumbai and i am in final year electronics engineering. hope to learn a lot from the community and give to it at the same time...
To boldly go where no man has gone before No, it is not the ladies' rest room. Quote: Is a call for the private sector to lead a century-long plan...
dear friends as we are mechanical engineers so let us draw three views of a given object here there is a view and the engineer who draw its three views...