Alternatives to plastic shipping bags?

We've plastic ban in Maharashtra and I'm wondering what'd be the right alternative to plastic shipping bags? Does anyone know budget and eco-friendly alternative?

Replies

• Radhika Deshpande
    Radhika Deshpande

Alternative could be paper bags ,cardboard boxes or sheets, corrugated boxes or sheets, thick paper boxes/sheets or anything made up of paper. ? ? ? 

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

Corrugated boxes are a good option - but the problem is that they add a lot to the weight of the shipment. Typically, the domestic couriers in India would charge various rates for 500 gms and 1Kg shipments - that's why it's important to keep the shipment under 500 grams. 

Our t-shirts are mostly < 500 grams (including packaging), but without plastic bags, shipment is going to be costlier. 

I've been hearing a lot about biodegradable plastic bags. Does anyone know about them? Any known vendor who can supply them?

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

There is an interesting item in today's TNIE:

#-Link-Snipped-#

Not for immediate use. There is a company called biogreen in Bangalore that makes various types of biodegradable bags. They also make garment shipping bags for industries, which is not shown in their site. 

I talked to them. If you can mail them your requirements they will respond with all details.

#-Link-Snipped-#

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

This was the mail from them:

Yes. Please Check the link below for newspaper bags

RegardsGreenhandle Order Fulfilment Team7400329494 |  bD9R-1529914771683.png
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

This is a thought provoking article from Scientific American.

Maharashtra's initiative seems to be the way to go.

More Recycling Won't Solve Plastic Pollution - Scientific American Blog Network

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Due to which people who can't afford AC and cooler can make their life better and environment clean
Indian Government is likely to make 24 degree Celsius as the default temperature setting for all Air Conditioners in India. I want to know what do our fellow CEans think...
I want to start a association team which develop communication skills ,easy steps to face interview,ppt's,removing stage fear,gd's,jam's,debating etc.....,.FOr this i want technical name for it.
The U.S. Department of Energy’s Oak Ridge National Laboratory recently unveiled its Summit computer as the world’s most powerful and smartest scientific supercomputer. It has a peak performance of 200,000...