A simple question about extreme values

Hi there. Can you help me solve this,please?
Find the extreme values of the function f(x,y) = x^4 + y^4 - 2(x - y)^2 ≤ 0

Is it the same as f(x,y) = x^4 + y^4 - 2(x - y)^2 ?? Without the " ≤ 0" , will the answer be different? Because if the answer is the same, I can solve it.

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The function can be rewritten as x^4 + y^4 ≤ 2(x - y)^2
    and simplified to: x^4 + y^4 ≤ 2(x^2 +y^2)-4xy
    Even powers of x and y are always positive. The fourth power rapidly increases with increasing values of x and y above 1. For the inequality to hold it is necessary that x and y cannot both be +ve or -ve.
    Inspection shows that the limits for the inequality is x = a value -2 to +2, simultaneously y = a value +2 to -2.
  • Aruwin
    Aruwin
    bioramani
    The function can be rewritten as x^4 + y^4 ≤ 2(x - y)^2
    and simplified to: x^4 + y^4 ≤ 2(x^2 +y^2)-4xy
    Even powers of x and y are always positive. The fourth power rapidly increases with increasing values of x and y above 1. For the inequality to hold it is necessary that x and y cannot both be +ve or -ve.
    Inspection shows that the limits for the inequality is x = a value -2 to +2, simultaneously y = a value +2 to -2.
    OK,another question related to finding the extrema.
    Given function f(x,y) = x^4 + y^4 - 2(x - y)^2,
    where f(x,y)≤ 0.
    For all values of (x,y) near (0,0),
    f(x,y)≥f(0,0) → At (0,0) f(x,y) has a local minimum
    f(x,y)≤f(0,0) → At (0,0) f(x,y) has a local maximum
    OK, so how do I know if f(x,y) is greater or lesser than f(0,0)??

I am going to apply what I think and please correct me if I am wrong.

The function at O is -2(x-y)^2 after expanding the function using taylor expansion.
    Substituting values of x and y with 0,
    so f(0,0) = 0 and
    substituting values of x and y with 1 and 2,
    so f(1,2) = -2 and
    thus, f(1,2) is lower than f(0,0). Generalizing it, we have f(x,y) lower than or equals to(when we substitute with 0) f(0,0) and so, f(x,y) has a local maximum value of 0 at (0,0).

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hey Guys, My name is shawrix..currently i am studying EC(1st year) from Rampur (UP).
I would like to go for CCNA training free with either videos or any material so that i can prepare for CCNA exam myself. any help will be appreciated ?
Lawyerbot Will Do The Donkey Work, Facilitates Database Search Google Compute Engine Is Infrastructure As A Service Offering Linux Virtual Machines No Jelly Bean For Flash, HTML5 The Merciless Toyota...
I just started work with a injection moulding machine and having problem in cleaning it.I first used red color polystyrene and then used transparent poly styrene, but due to previous...
This instructable gives circuit for a pre amplifier that increases the versatality of available smart phone oscilloscope apps. The circuit is only the preamp. It is said to be compatible...