Phishing Attack

I hope most of you Guys have faced this attack many times but don't know about it

ie phishing attack

Phishing is a form of social engineering. Phishing attacks use email or malicious websites to solicit personal information by posing as a trustworthy organization. For example, an attacker may send email seemingly from a reputable credit card company or financial institution that requests account information, often suggesting that there is a problem. When users respond with the requested information, attackers can use it to gain access to the accounts.

Phishing attacks may also appear to come from other types of organizations, such as charities. Attackers often take advantage of current events and certain times of the year, such as

* natural disasters (e.g., Hurricane Katrina, Indonesian tsunami)
* epidemics and health scares (e.g., H1N1)
* economic concerns (e.g., IRS scams)
* major political elections
* holidays

For better understanding
I have created a phisher of orkut in order to hack orkut passwords

have a look

#-Link-Snipped-#
It looks exactly like ORKUT
BUT not is not
if you type your sign in information then it will not sign in you
instead it give your information to me

How do you avoid being a victim?

* Be suspicious of unsolicited phone calls, visits, or email messages from individuals asking about employees or other internal information. If an unknown individual claims to be from a legitimate organization, try to verify his or her identity directly with the company.

* Do not provide personal information or information about your organization, including its structure or networks, unless you are certain of a person's authority to have the information.

* Do not reveal personal or financial information in email, and do not respond to email solicitations for this information. This includes following links sent in email.

* Don't send sensitive information over the Internet before checking a website's security (see Protecting Your Privacy for more information).

* Pay attention to the URL of a website. Malicious websites may look identical to a legitimate site, but the URL may use a variation in spelling or a different domain (e.g., .com vs. .net).

* If you are unsure whether an email request is legitimate, try to verify it by contacting the company directly. Do not use contact information provided on a website connected to the request; instead, check previous statements for contact information. Information about known phishing attacks is also available online from groups such as the Anti-Phishing Working Group (#-Link-Snipped-#).

* Install and maintain anti-virus software, firewalls, and email filters to reduce some of this traffic (see Understanding Firewalls, Understanding Anti-Virus Software, and Reducing Spam for more information).

* Take advantage of any anti-phishing features offered by your email client and web browser.

What do you do if you think you are a victim?

* If you believe you might have revealed sensitive information about your organization, report it to the appropriate people within the organization, including network administrators. They can be alert for any suspicious or unusual activity.

* If you believe your financial accounts may be compromised, contact your financial institution immediately and close any accounts that may have been compromised. Watch for any unexplainable charges to your account.

* Immediately change any passwords you might have revealed. If you used the same password for multiple resources, make sure to change it for each account, and do not use that password in the future.

* Watch for other signs of identity theft (see Preventing and Responding to Identity Theft for more information).

* Consider reporting the attack to the police, and file a report with the Federal Trade Commission (Federal Trade Commission | Protecting America's Consumers).

My personal suggestion :-Use BitDefender as Antivirus in your Pc
It can detect any unreliable website

2nd whenever you suspect any site to be unreliable
then take a look of its view source by right click on view source and fnd the word action
there must be line something like

if here it is written get then it may not be reliable because post is used to make sign in information invisible so usually post is used

Replies

• sookie
    sookie
    * Be suspicious of unsolicited phone calls, visits, or email messages from individuals asking about employees or other internal information. If an unknown individual claims to be from a legitimate organization, try to verify his or her identity directly with the company.
    If any victim by any chance share some of his/her information with people making such calls then how can they misuse it? I think it is quite obvious, if they are calling as a representative of any blah blah organization then they might be knowing atleast our account no. [in both the cases of calls and emails] right? So it will be really doubtful when they ask us for our account no.s right? Please clear in exactly what scenario , a fish like us can get trapped in this phishing attack?

@goyal In your orkut page, some image is shown as missing in my browser? Just above login section
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    Now check the site you will see the image....I think now it is a perfect phisher
    😛

Actually sookie i am not a professional hacker...I can't solve out your query accurately
    but yes if asking about misuse then let me tell you one secret ..i used this website to hack many of my class girls orkut's passwords..and changed them.. and put all of them in trouble;
    until now they don't know even what happened to their account?
    I hope there is no class mate of mine here
    '
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    and yes who is sunilDhimal here?
    Please don't check this...this is a phisher not a orkut site...and is for information only
    Now please change your password ...i got it
    I will not be responsible for any problems okkkk
    For this reason I am removing this phisher...otherwise because of you guys I will be in jail for 5 years..
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    hey goyal Have you removed the site? I got error as index.htm not found
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    Nice information
  • safwan
    safwan
    @ms_cs I got same error .
    But nice tips for protection.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    YES Guys i have removed it..as like sunilDhimal some one will open it and again try it ...this will create problem for me...
    I hope you Guys can understand my problem..
    Thanks
  • Mahesh Dahale
    Mahesh Dahale
    Nice Information dude:sshhh:

goyal420
    yes if asking about misuse then let me tell you one secret ..i used this website to hack many of my class girls orkut's passwords..and changed them.. and put all of them in trouble;
    until now they don't even what happened to their account?
    I hope there is no class mate of mine here
    '
    it is not ethical you are hacker not a cracker
    Just Kidding... 😎
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    Ha ha...mahesh there is great fun...but upto fun it is good not more than that
  • ONKSSSSS
    ONKSSSSS
    I would like to add .....
    Please check for the url redirects to Something.
    notice the HTTPS.S means secured site. Also if you are using firefox or IE the address bar's color will change to green (or can be orange in some firefoxs).
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    nice information..onks
    thanks for sharing
  • vik001ind
    vik001ind
    I have thought about such an attack, read it here --> LINUX tips tweaks & security issues!: Secure Site's CA(Certificate Authority) Explained!
    Possible phishing attack on Secure site CA.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Bangalore: Quit smoking and get a 10 percent hike in basic pay. That is the offer made by the head of a Bangalore based firm to coax his colleagues to...
Quick Heal CEan of the month December 2009 is... 😁CEan - Goyal420😁 ​ CEan Goyal420 joined CE in September 2009 and has been an exceptional contributor to CE. Goyal420 belongs...
Official Announcement: https://www.crazyengineers.com/forum/announcements/31251-quick-heal-cean-month-december-2009-a.html Congratulations, Goyal420! Keep up the excellent work!
Have you ever noticed whenever you create a file? check it's properties.. in that there are two labels named size size on disk Can anyone explain me why there is...
Go to Google.com Today and click on I'm Feeling Lucky Button and tell us what do you see there? There is a gift awaiting you Do Check it out guys.