Yahoo Acquires Another Startup, Gaming Platform Company PlayerScale!

Yahoo's shopping spree hasn't ended yet since it started acquiring startups from quite some time as Marissa Mayer the CEO, believes that these companies are aligned to Yahoo's business. After buying Tumblr for more than a billion dollars, Yahoo has acquired a cross-gaming platform company, named PlayerScale. This platform includes services like leaderboards, matchmaking and communication tools and also includes connections to social networks like Facebook and Google+. With this acquisition, Yahoo plans set its foot into the mobile gaming sector.

playerscale-590x277
Among all the acquisitions Yahoo has made recently, PlayerScale would remain an independent service unlike the others. The company will have the same team they had earlier and will see no changes. Tumblr too had the same terms where the team did not change, whereas the other services and acquisitions had all their developers and team get involved into Yahoo from their companies. Yahoo being smart has acquired these companies with an intention of collecting all the data these services have access to and have collected over their period of working.

No one is sure what is Yahoo planning to do with so many acquisitions, but one thing is sure that the company is headed in a positive direction. The management team has been impressive and CEO Marissa Mayer also seems determined to change things around in the company. Now one thing that has left everyone thinking is what would Yahoo be summing up with all these acquisitions? Looks more like an integration between Tumblr and the games developed at PlayerScale and also developing games for Android after Google's recent announcement about special features for game developers. What do you think Yahoo is planning? Leave your thoughts in the comment section.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    So many acquisitions and that too in different directions.
    Not sure, If Yahoo ! is going in right direction or not.

after Google's recent announcement about special features for game developers
    At this moment, Yahoo! can not think of competing with Google.

-CB
  • Abhijit Dey
    Abhijit Dey
    Yahoo may have different plans actually. It may turn out well and the new management team are really good. I had a talk with Kara Swisher who is the co-executive editor for AllThingsD, and she said Yahoo's investments are many and they have made around 22 acquisitions yet. Fingers crossed on what they are planning.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I agree with #-Link-Snipped-# here. It looks like Marissa Mayer is just out shopping too much. And we are all hoping it pay off well for the company. Because if that doesn't happen then the tech town won't think twice before ripping her to pieces. Yahoo is trying to be into many domains, they must instead concentrate on one domain and better it. Or may be we are overlooking an awesome strategy.

Dazzle us, Yahoo! 👍
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Technically Yahoo! should have done all this long back when google over took it in terms of many things and once email giant yahoo! tumbled down due to its resistant policy. Its trying to cover back its losses. Now entry into gaming world might prove fruitful since there is no end to it. And like Facebook or Google integration, if they wish to capture some part of market, then there is nothing wrong in that, yes the problem here is the CEO is just trying to employ the whole convoy and build everything fortnight. Its a high risk venture
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Here's something I found worth sharing - So why is Yahoo in the midst of purposely transforming itself into an über portal even as computer users are migrating to super-focused mobile apps and even when its leader made her name touting simplicity and minimalism? And how did Google, once the poster child for focus, end up as a sort of accidental portal, with its own social network, webmail site, online map, and video sharing service, to say nothing of its smartphone manufacturer or set of operating systems? Because we live in a world where the most valuable information – and especially the demographic and tracking data coveted by online advertisers – does not want to be free, and in fact is hoarded in proprietary databases that can only be assembled if you’re a portal, or look a lot like one. Or at least this is part of the reason.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Swimming is something which I have always loved, and whenever I find time to spare, I would straight away head to the pool. For me it's a workout which is...
I am too lazy to surf today, anyone willing to find me a direct download link for Hackintosh 10.8 OS, No torrents please 😁 someone find me a good download...
hello, i have studied java in my engineering college,but i was not good at it,i managed to pass,now i am in my job in the field of software development in...
The much awaited update of Google's Android OS is now confirmed. When the images of the Google Nexus 4 Smartphone running Android 4.3 was spotted at the Thailand Mobile Expo...
Here's something for those who love early morning excitement. Crazy as it may seem, only Japanese could have thought of something like this. A japanese online store called Sirobako.com, run...