written assignments should be banned

written assignments should be banned completely. some productive and useful type of assignments like ppts mini projects should be given. what are your opinions? 😡

Replies

• Reya
    Reya
    Yeah you are absolutely right 😀 Students write their assignments before/on the day of submission.They dont take any special interest to write it on their own.If seminar or mini project is given they will gain something about that topic instead of blindly copying everything from net or book.
  • maria flor
    maria flor
    I agree with you. That is one of the things I really hate...written assignments especially essay!!!! I better love to draw than to write.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I agree with you all. Moreover, the teachers now-a-days don't 'check' the assignments and journals. They just sign at the end of each assignment.
    It's totally unnecessary use of paper. Steps should be taken to avoid usage of paper and they should make it a creative process and do it electronically i.e. through mail or directly in a practical lab.
  • Deepika Bansal
    Deepika Bansal
    I second you Praveena. We people too make it just 5-7 minutes before the deadline. Instead we should be given some new topics for the seminars.
    Written assignments are just a wastage of time and paper.
  • Neema Ambhurkar
    Neema Ambhurkar
    This is the voice of every student today! 😛

It's just a passive work done by the students while plugging earphones into their ears and watching TV.
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    but how can we say they do projects whole heartedly
    assignments are given for our good willing and for practice
    i think giving some interesting topics will be useful
    i noticed in my college as all my friends are going away when they called to give seminar
    so i think a revolution should be done in students about studies and interests
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    I thought projects and seminars are written assignments and they are mandatory for students to learn ( atleast thats what old school people like me feel)
  • shubhankar
    shubhankar
    giving different project topics will explore the creativity of the student.suddenly a student can recognize that he is good at this particular area.
  • shubhankar
    shubhankar
    i can understand your point durga but it will benefit if done seriously. professors now a days don't even bother to check those assignments. no corrections are suggested nothing. theory is being learnt by us throughout the education cycle. my idea behind this is that while working on a mini project they actually get to know that the circuit they are implementing is far more difficult than it appears on paper. this is required because this is what you need to know when you work on th eshop floor
  • andyKane
    andyKane
    Projects and seminars help! Especially seminar. Because when you have to speak in front of people, you HAVE to understand the subject! Even though as per my experience, the students listening to you don't understand much. Atleast the one giving the seminar understands. In written assignments, no one understands anything 😛
  • buzzparas
    buzzparas
    i totally disagree with your statement, though when i used to be in college i used to think same, but now i realize the value of assignments.
    the assignment you write, make you read the topic at least once and writing it down will make your subject recall better, i still remember the topics on which i submitted assignment though it was of no use as it hardly matters to professor and counted more like a formal submission.

at the same time i totally agree with statement " more emphasis should be given on seminars and presentations" as this will develop presentation skills and confidence level of students which are long term benefits.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi, I am Farjand. I am in Mechanical branch from last 1 year.I like swimming as I have achieved a gold medal in school.My aim is to do something good...
I was thinking of designing some thing in these summer holidays using CATIA which I recently learned.I want to modify products using it.Does any company offers to design its products...
It is an intriguing question I came across when I was reading something on the internet. What is your take on the question ?
HI my project is air mouse using accelerometer im struck as to how to send data to comp regarding mouse movement and clicking im using arduino plz help
Two awesome teams in Cricket will play against each other at VCA Stadium in Nagpur on March 12. The match is certainly going to be interesting as both the teams...