Why are the numbers on a calculator and a phone in reversed order?

It is an intriguing question I came across when I was reading something on the internet.
What is your take on the question ?

Replies

• narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    because all should not be same lol
    this is my answer
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Seriously! Never thought about this. Any pointers (to the article) about this?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    @opti: Reversed order? Didn't get you.
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    @ankita: the numbers on the phones are in order(top to bottom) of 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-0 while on the calculator/numeric pad on keyboard it is 9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1-0.

@biggie: I found the question in some QnA site. Just googling the post title will fetch a lot of such pages(including that of CE on 4th position 😀 ). But I want Ceans to put up their ideas and information (if they possess any).
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    @opti: OK. Now I got it. I guess it might be done by the first ever designers and followed by the rest. My imagination says, they designed it like the game of 'snakes and ladders' where we have 1 at the bottom-left and 100 at the top.
    They must have thought that we are growing as we move upward. (I hope this answer doesn't sound dumb)
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    AbraKaDabra
    @opti: OK. Now I got it. I guess it might be done by the first ever designers and followed by the rest. My imagination says, they designed it like the game of 'snakes and ladders' where we have 1 at the bottom-left and 100 at the top.
    They must have thought that we are growing as we move upward. (I hope this answer doesn't sound dumb)
    hehe..nice one 😉
  • shubhankar
    shubhankar
    it may be in reference to the old land line phones which had a rotor dial in which we used to fix up our finger and dial the number. in those phones 123 was at the top and the same sequence continued. regarding calculators. i think th elogical internal circuitry might be developed in th esame manner. no specific reason for that. it could have been th eother way round if the designers wanted.
  • shubhankar
    shubhankar
    AbraKaDabra
    no..not at all.it shows how much you love snakes and ladders😛 😭
  • andyKane
    andyKane
    Well.. May be we love to start from the bottom! I mean most of the phone numbers start from 9, 8, 7 or 0! So in the mobile phone, these numbers are at the bottom. In calculator, well there no such issue! (This makes NO sense 😛 )
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    This is an interesting discussion. I can't think of any solid logic behind the placement of keys. Maybe that's how the first designers designed it and it just continued. 😉
  • shubhankar
    shubhankar
    yeah. that is the case in calculators i suppose.
  • Deepika Bansal
    Deepika Bansal
    Still thinking hard to know why so.?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

HI my project is air mouse using accelerometer im struck as to how to send data to comp regarding mouse movement and clicking im using arduino plz help
Two awesome teams in Cricket will play against each other at VCA Stadium in Nagpur on March 12. The match is certainly going to be interesting as both the teams...
1.Can you find four numbers such that the sum of every two numbers and the sum of all four numbers may be perfect squares??? 2.I have a wooden cube 3...
Can someone here give me some questions and answers only... not solutions. They are the following: Fundamental Concepts (15 problems) Straight Line (10) Conic Section (20) Rotation & Translation &...
What's the event about? You have 24 hours to build something. Wrack your brains and come up with that hack that will throw you in the limelight. You're not restricted...