Would you prefer books to e-books? Why?

Hard cover/Paper back books or soft and easy to carry e-books? What would you prefer in this modern era?

My Case:
I've a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and it has a battery which would stay for 2 days, and quite a large screen. So I've a large collection of e-books with me. I've mixed feelings for this. I've started reading e-books and have actually just completed one e-novel in like 4 days. However, if it were a paperback book, I'd have done the same in four hours (if the book was that interesting). I still feel that paperbacks are more interesting over e-books.

Here are a few questions I'd like to discuss over:

1. Why would you study with an e-book (like the ones you find in CE - Resources) rather than with a real paperback book?

My case: I'd prefer paperbacks.

2. Do you think that the future holds more potential for e-books over paperbacks in schools and colleges?

3. Do people still use printed Encyclopedia today?

My case: When my dad thought of buying 3 sets of Encyclopedia, he had a doubt about whether he should just buy an Encarta DVD collection, or go for the printed encyclopedia. I'd always say that I've built my curiosity only because of those printed encyclopedia that I have at home. Even my dad thought it was a better idea to expose the world to us kids than just get us a DVD which would show only the data that we search for.

4. Do you think that saving paper is more important than gaining knowledge?

Looking forward to a healthy discussion!

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    The future is not in paper the more smarter the class rooms get the lesser the paper used

In my opinion Knowledge is available in many forms I don't care whether it is printed or in BIT form I prefer both as the end result is more important

On the side note the paper backs are really cool to use the feel of paper can't be replaced by e books
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Conqueror
    The future is not in paper the more smarter the class rooms get the lesser the paper used

In my opinion Knowledge is available in many forms I don't care whether it is printed or in BIT form I prefer both as the end result is more important

On the side note the paper backs are really cool to use the feel of paper can't be replaced by e books
    Very much the reason why libraries still function all around the world. The present generation of readers have already understood the essence and value of printed books, and so it may be difficult for any of us to judge an e-book to be better. However, considering the evolution in mind and the creation of thin paper like e-books, would you say that our kids may find e-books easier to use than us? Where and how does this change in evolution take place and how do you justify it in mere words? ๐Ÿ˜’
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Future generation is sure to like e books they are used to using Capacitive screen displays more than us So I think the next generation will embrace e books more

PS: It is based on our parenting style as well We can make them cross platform if we think and If they are willing to adapt
  • mail154
    mail154
    1. Why would you study with an e-book (like the ones you find in CE - Resources) rather than with a real paperback book?

In Case of availability of printed books i don't go for a e-book.

2.Do you think that the future holds more potential for e-books over paperbacks in schools and colleges?

Exactly. for Sure.

Why Not? Still We Have Win 98 users. Do you Disagree?

I Don't think So.

5. Why do the future hold more potential for e-book?

See,At the Minimum we may have people belonging to age 18 or above. The first source of attraction to us were the printed books through the images. We Were luckily able to access these even on our graduation time. Some Generation we have now are unable to access these till they complete their college due to under developed technology their time. But the Generation after us, would not like the load of carrying books. For our Generation it is a good thing. They Prefer Carrying a SD Card ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜.

6. What are the practical difficulties in replacing books with e-books?

-Cannot Study for a long due to Eye Strain.
    -Technology Reaching the Poor and Rural Areas.

7. What are the Factors which encourage e-books?

-Portability
    -Access in Travelling Times
    -Storage and Maintanance.

For Our Generation it is not Possible to completely replace it,apart from tech lovers. May Be In The Generations to come..๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I've tried reading e-books but couldn't go beyond a few pages. I first thought it'd be like reading any regular website - like reading several blog pages in one go; but it turned out to be different. I'd prefer physical books over ebooks any day.
  • mail154
    mail154
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I've tried reading e-books but couldn't go beyond a few pages. I first thought it'd be like reading any regular website - like reading several blog pages in one go; but it turned out to be different. I'd prefer physical books over ebooks any day.

Yes Thats What I Am Speaking of. For Our Generation its hard to go more than 2 pages. I was once proud of the technology ๐Ÿ˜€ But it doesn't suit the people who have started with printed books
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    IMHO for reference material, ebooks are better as you can search and read exactly what you are looking for. For learning purpose, I prefer hard copy - ebooks are too strenuous with my specs on!!
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    I will answer your questionnaire :

A: Yes, I would.
    Reason 1 : Few days ago I checked Kindle in Croma, awesome Ereader. You should buy if you're avid reader.
    Reason 2 : There are many books which I love to buy, that cost me around 1400 INR. Man, I can't spend 1400 INR so I would just download pirated one & read it.

2. Do you think that the future holds more potential for e-books over paperbacks in schools and colleges?
    A: Nope. Not In India.
    As technology improves, they should teach students using electronic gadgets. Kids seems to learn faster if they see video or something. Kids can learn faster that way. But that ain't happening in India.

A : I don't.

A : Now this is an entire different debate ๐Ÿ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

ARES system has come up with a novel way to store electrical energy with variable availability like wind, tide and solar. Heavy rail cars equipped with regenerative braking generators are...
I am a pedestrian or a passenger. My admiration of bikes is academic regarding their engineering. Here is an new kid on the block with 33 kmpl mileage (kilometerage!) powered...
Look at what makes the low cost, no frills black only NOKIA 105 tick. Phone on a Chip. https://electronics360.globalspec.com/article/216/video-teardown-what-s-inside-nokia-s-20-phone
It has happened. The Humble SIM Card Has Finally Been Hacked. Billions of phones at risk. Scare mongering or a real threat? https://www.extremetech.com/computin...ign=Feed:+ziffdavis/extremetech+(Extremetech)
Here is how climatologists monitor cyclones: https://www.cyclonecenter.org/?utm_s...content=Hello&utm_campaign=New+Cyclone+Center