Windows 8 Picture Passwords & Security

Window 8 will have a new way of entering your passwords. The system works as follows -
1. First you're allowed to select a picture from your photo library.
2. Then you're asked to perform a series of gestures and then repeat them to confirm the sequence.
3. The picture password is now saved.
4. Upon your next login; you will be presented with the same picture and you'll have to perform the gesture in the same sequence to login.

Do you think this method of login is secure? Can this be cracked?

Replies

• Gandalf
    Gandalf
    I think it would be really difficult to crack the gesture

But we could crack the written password and reset the gesture !!!
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    This topic was covered on VoiCE -

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    This is a very complex algorithm they have devised and another problem with this is, what if you cannot reproduce the same gestures / environment? It is a kinect based algo and still it is in its beta stages! ๐Ÿ˜”
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Maybe in future, we'll have to make weird faces in front of our computer to login ๐Ÿ˜’
  • Gandalf
    Gandalf
    Praveen-Kumar
    This is a very complex algorithm they have devised and another problem with this is, what if you cannot reproduce the same gestures / environment? It is a kinect based algo and still it is in its beta stages! ๐Ÿ˜”
    I think there should be a way to reset it using the written password
    since it is used while creating it
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Gandalf
    I think there should be a way to reset it using the written password
    since it is used while creating it
    Yes there is, but then it becomes less secure as cracking a written password! ๐Ÿ˜”
  • Gandalf
    Gandalf
    Praveen-Kumar
    Yes there is, but then it becomes less secure as cracking a written password! ๐Ÿ˜”
    Yes , you are right
    i had posted it earlier

I think it would be really difficult to crack the gesture

But we could crack the written password and reset the gesture !!!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Automobiles & Auto Components - Auto Expo 2012 Largest Automotive show in India The only complete Automotive show in World Only show in India accredited by OICA Special focus on...
Asia's first Holography studio is being setup at Kovalam near Trivendram in India. Light Logics Holography & Optics has setup the studio. Source: https://www.indianexpress.com/news/asias-first-holography-studio-coming-up-at-kovalam/889250/ Now the basic question: What exactly...
SCiNNOVATION '12 is a technical fest conducted by Amity School of Engineering and Technology, Jaipur. SCiNNOVATION, as the name suggestsm is the combination of Science and Innovation. It is a...
KGiSL Institute of Techonlogy- KiTE hosts the technical symposium "ARISTA'11" to unleash the boundaries of creativity. Department of Information Technology of KiTE extends its bonhomous invitation to budding technocrats. This...
The department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, ANITS organizing ARC - A State Level Technical Symposium for the 5th executive year. The vibrant and energetic title- ARC, signifies the sparkling...