Will Indian Government link immovable assets to AADHAR?

So, I read that the next bold move from the Indian Government towards eradicating corruption is going to be about linking the immovable assets (land, house) to owner's AADHAR. If it happens for real, it will be the boldest move from the government after demonetisation. I'm aware that the Government has denied any such report or pending move; but that doesn't mean they won't do it.

In India, most of the corrupt government officials have invested all their black money into immovable assets, mostly flats, plots and farm-lands. If the government indeed makes it mandatory to link the property to AADHAR, it will immediately expose people who've acquired more property than they legally could. Government can then seize such properties and make huge money by auctioning it. It's also estimated that because the corrupt people would try to sell their their 'extra' properties, the prices of flats and houses will come down drastically; allowing people to buy these using legal money.

Do you think the Government will take this bold step? What would be consequences of it?

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    May happen. I got a message from Airtel telling me that I should link my Aadhar with my account.
    My Konkani friend's dad used to quote various Konkani sayings suitable to each occasion. One was:"Slowly slowly catch the monkey".
    Would be useful. It may start a fake aadhar card generation industry to transfer the assets to.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    A.V.Ramani
    It may start a fake aadhar card generation industry to transfer the assets to.
    Not sure how'd that work. There has to be biometric authentication before linking and IMHO that cannot be faked 'easily'.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    That is true. Fingerprinting is the bottle neck. Unless the aadhar generation process itself is compromised.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Quote It’s absolutely amazing that some of ancient Rome’s monuments have survived over the millennia—certainly so, when you view them with 21st-Century eyes. End quote Roman Concrete Stands the Test...
A hard hitting, disturbing, probably quite true description of the state of affairs in India. Many say that I am atheistic. Maybe. Just consider this. Every sloka or puja ritual...
The Gateway Arch is a 193 meter tall inverted weighted catenary structure on the Missouri River in St.Louis. The construction started in 1993. I have a great interest in such...
Snapdeal layoffs are imminent and according to a report published in ET, the company is likely to fire about 80% of its staff. The company's management has given verbal instructions...
Someone contacted us to ask what documents will a buyer required in order to be able to buy the JioPhone from the Jio Digital Stores. First of all, it's important...