Will Apps Kill Traditional Web?

Leading software companies understand the importance of Apps. With the growing popularity of handheld devices, Apple and Microsoft have both been trying to get the mobile like experience to desktops and the next versions of the operating systems are soon going to deliver that.

...and Apps are an important aspect of the handheld devices. Take any app and it can just do fine without the need of web. Example : Let's take Twitter. If you have twitter app installed on your phone, you will never need the traditional web based, HTML version of the service. The same applies to Facebook App, or any damn app in the world.

If the apps world continues to grow at breakneck speed, do you think we'll soon have a day where 'HTML' and the traditional Internet will become a thing of past?

Replies

• silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Internet is a network and HTML is a language used to represent content in that network. If not HTML, then we would be using some other protocol or language to request and serve information over the internet. It's all about adopting to the changing needs, right?
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Could be for mobile devices...
    Every person have just set of websites say 5-10, which they visit frequently. Its very handy to install a app for that website and access by just a click.😀
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Yeah, I'm only saying that growing use of apps will lead to HTML being almost useless. I think we've moved from desktop based software to HTML based web apps and are now moving back to apps based world.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I remember reading on a tech blog few months back about a debate that was invoked when Forrester CEO George Colony said at a speech that some big tumultuous changes are coming. And a big one among these changes includes the death of the web and the emergence of a new kind of Internet called the “App Internet.”

There those people had drawn a line between what they mean by 'traditional web'. A traditional web can be called as a “Document Web” where HTML pages are interconnected through hyperlinks and technologies for the web like HTML5, Webkit and protocols are used to provide the end-users the resources and experience of accessing these HTML pages.

Web developers would know now that the amount of complexity of code for running a typical web page has increased drastically over the past decade. Now we have all the UI code running in the browsers only.
    That said, we can easily say that most web sites have become “apps”.
    App distribution is becoming easier by the day with the introduction of ' app markets' for each and every platform.
    Thus, we can now say that apps are really killing the web as we knew it.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I like the sound of 'App Internet'. 😁

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The latest rumor circulating in the Internet domain is about the possible acquisition of Meebo messaging service by Google for whooping $100 million. Meebo raised $25 million from Khosla Ventures...
This is a long post, but I'd appreciate if you take some time to read and respond. CEans, As we gather more information from our visitors/users about how CrazyEngineers is...
my namme is SHIVANG . i am currently doing B.TECH from N.I.T. SRINAGAR in MECCHANICAL.
i am in need of a graph plotting software to get the values of a strain gauge calibration please suggest a good graph plotting software. if possible give the link...
hey guys whats up? i've been eye-balling this forum for a while now and decided it was time for me to join and start to contribute to it all that...