Why modern buildings are not stronger than old buildings

why modern buildings are not stronger than old buildings

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    mohammadaslam
    I'm curious to know what makes you feel that modern buildings aren't as strong as old ones. I believe the technology has advanced to a great extent that allows engineers to construct Burj Khalifa and Hoover Dam.

Some more insight into the question would help others answer you 😀
  • KSS Manian
    KSS Manian
    mohammadaslam

The reason is cost & time optimization. And also our design is prolong 50years max. If you want your building to live more than a K, No problem i will increase the FOS for my design. Think the cost should be (cost^10) 👍
  • Guttu
    Guttu
    True. Older buildings were designed using high factor of safety. Hence they last long. This can be done today also. But it's not logical and feasible. Imagine if you build a bridge for 50 years with high factor of safety. By the time it reaches it's half life, The increase in traffic will force to build a new bridge. The extra cost you spend on safety of bridge is in vain.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Name: J. K. Chandrakar Engineering Trade: Civil Engineering Location: Durg (C.G.) India Academic Qualification: M. E. Civil (Structural Engineering) Occupation: Working as an Assistant Engineer in the Government of Chhattisgarh,...
even though tester looks like small circuit....i wonder how it works even when i touch the conducting edge without grounding myself by standing on a plastic chair or wearing shoes.........could...
my name is Aniket. I from Mumbai, India. I have done my engineering in Electronics and Telecommunications. my hobbies are watching tv and drawing. I am currently unemployed and I...
Hello everyone. I am working on a game of sudoku in core java. Till now I've been able to successfully generate a solution ( consisting of all filled boxes) and...

Me

My name is Okonji Chianu Moses. I am from Nigeria and I have a Bachelor degree in Chemical Engineering. For nw, i am unemployed and I am looking for a...