Why do we need to sign-out?

whenever we access our e-mail id we need to sign in thats obvious and correct..but why do we need to sign out???...The answer to the question is also obvious, it assures us that we have closed our mailbox successfully and no one can access it now....but I have seen that if I close my Yahoo Mail without signing out and reopen it then instead of My yahoo page I see Yahoo login Page....then wats the need to sign out...I mean nobody can access my account now also when I didn't sign out....Any answers???

Replies

• Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    neha
    whenever we access our e-mail id we need to sign in thats obvious and correct..but why do we need to sign out???...The answer to the question is also obvious, it assures us that we have closed our mailbox successfully and no one can access it now....but I have seen that if I close my Yahoo Mail without signing out and reopen it then instead of My yahoo page I see Yahoo login Page....then wats the need to sign out...I mean nobody can access my account now also when I didn't sign out....Any answers???
    May be to destroy your session id or cache information...Do let me correct if i am wrong
  • aashima
    aashima
    welll...

thats correct that signing in is indispensale for acessing one's mail account but y signing out is mandatory has its own reason....
    thats not alwaz the case that wenever u dont sign out and make a exit... it does not start with yer mail box... that all depends on yer system and above that yer server settings... there are configuration that do not let one switch to the home page untill and unless u dont close yer mail box... though majority of settings are not like this...
    okay.. u might have noticed this that u can open two ids of a same domain simultaneously on a pc whereas it might not happen on sum other pc... it all depends on the server settings.. though its most likely the case that once the server comp is shut down.. everything is eventually closed...

and a second possible motive to sign out may be to close your mail box w.r.t yahoo server...
  • Neha
    Neha
    well said...

Okay that means its better to be at the safer place...i.e its alwaz better to sign out😉

Do anyone has a reason why it happens that we can close our mailbox without signing out???....As said by aashima that it depends on one's servers settings...Can we change our servers settings??? If yes, then how???
  • Mayank
    Mayank
    Server Settings...oooops....Its client settings(Web Browser)

Hi,
    Logging out is important specially when u share ur computer system with someone else. Other than that as said "It depends on some server settings" I wud like to comment on that: The only thing that is done at server side relating to this is the implementation of autologin or single sign on module and the cookie issuing by the server for remote client m/cs'. Only the operator can change those settings.

The most appropriate answer to ur question is: When a web client(Web Browser: IE/Mozilla/...) sends a request for a web page to a server, then along with that, the server issues some cookies containing some AUTHENTICATION Information about the user for future references. Now if u close ur browser w/o signing out, the cookies on ur system are not expired and remains valid. So when u again type the URL for the mail (mail.yahoo.com), it directly takes u to ur mail account instead of the login page, since the cookies are still alive.
    Important to note, there are browser settings thru which u can control this as ... delete cookies when browser closes ... or other settings that are available.
    For Mozilla...
    Tools -> Options -> Cookies -> Keep Cookies.....

I hope this answers ur querry of login page or direct mailbox appearing when u type mail URL(mail.yahoo.com), after closing ur earlier session window w/o logging out.

Regards,
    Mayank Shukla
  • aashima
    aashima
    aan...

Mayank
    Hi,
    Logging out is important specially when u share ur computer system with someone else. Other than that as said "It depends on some server settings" I wud like to comment on that: The only thing that is done at server side relating to this is the implementation of autologin or single sign on module and the cookie issuing by the server for remote client m/cs'. Only the operator can change those settings.

The most appropriate answer to ur question is: When a web client(Web Browser: IE/Mozilla/...) sends a request for a web page to a server, then along with that, the server issues some cookies containing some AUTHENTICATION Information about the user for future references. Now if u close ur browser w/o signing out, the cookies on ur system are not expired and remains valid. So when u again type the URL for the mail (mail.yahoo.com), it directly takes u to ur mail account instead of the login page, since the cookies are still alive.
    Important to note, there are browser settings thru which u can control this as ... delete cookies when browser closes ... or other settings that are available.
    For Mozilla...
    Tools -> Options -> Cookies -> Keep Cookies.....

I hope this answers ur querry of login page or direct mailbox appearing when u type mail URL(mail.yahoo.com), after closing ur earlier session window w/o logging out.

Regards,
    Mayank Shukla

thanks for the correction mayank 😀
  • Neha
    Neha
    Thats a pretty good job Mayank,Thanx!!

But the concept of getting the login page when u have closed your mailbox without signing out still arises?? Any idea regarding that??
  • Mayank
    Mayank
    Here is the supplement.

Hi,

Above reply of mine contains the answer. So such a scenerio occurs when ur browser setting says, disable or expire the cookies related with the site when the browser window is closed. So when u open the site in new browser window, the cookies which can show directly ur mail box are found to be expired and the login page appears even though u hav not logged out previously.
    So fundamentaly its all the game of cookies and ur broser's Privacy settings.
    Further querries and suggestions invited. :smile:

Thanks and Regards,
    Mayank Shukla
  • crook
    crook
    good job

hey mayank !! good job man !! i read all your posts. waiting for more such replies !!

• Neha
    Neha
    Okay! now its clear that the whole procedure depends on cookies and the settings...Thanx Mayank!!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Amazing!

That was quite an answer, Mayank!

We'll look forward to such posts.

-The Big K-
  • pad
    pad
    well one more thing... (applicable for networked systems)

some body is reading all your conversations off the wire and replays to read all your mails... or may be sending a hate mail from your account to APJ kalam or Bush... (or a love mail to Osama ;-) ) how about that?...

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

..::Crazy Engineers Common Sense::.. ​ Version 1.1 ​ Welcome Welcome to the CrazyEngineers forum! CrazyEngineers (abbreviated as ‘CE’ ) provides a place to engineers from all over the world a...
Why Zidane accolade with Golden Ball..... That was a sign of politics in FIFA??? He got 1 red card and booked two time with yelow....so he missed 2 matches... (dont...
hi ppl... i guess by now most of u must have had the pleasure of watching KRRISH 😉 as for me... it was good... nice direction and splendid performance by...
In an interview, the interviewer asks, "Which is your favorite engineering subject? Why?". How can we answer this if we don't have any specific subject as our favorite?
Hi All, Here is one question from my side in the line of puzzels in C. Find* whether a given 1/2/3/4/5 digit number is divisible by 3 or not. *Conditions:...