Why did you become an engineer?

Hi, mates! It occured to me today to watch the famous "The knack" episode on youtube () and suddenly I realized that actually this is what has happened to me too. I mean, when I was a kid, most of all I liked to play with "Lego" and "Meccano", I really LOVED it! ๐Ÿ˜€ So even though later I had some other major intererests, such as literature and music, when I was 14, I already knew what profession I wanted. I wanted to be a civil engineer ๐Ÿ˜€
And how about you, mates? ๐Ÿ˜€

P.S. It is important to mention that I am the first civil engineer in the family. For example my parents are doctors and they have never been able to divide 21 by 5 without a calculator ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# interesting thread. Will be watching this. Moved it to Chillax section.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    My love for all things RC made me disassemble all my toys and find out what's inside. Yeah, I did play with Lego and (planning to buy NXT kit ๐Ÿ˜€ always wanted to be an engineer so that I could figure out how everything worked.

PS: I still have problems doing mental calculations ๐Ÿ˜•
  • Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    Thanks for sharing the video. This is my first watch of Dilbert Cartoon. It's Good! By the way I also used to dissemble and mess things especially Computer hardware components(since my father is PC assembler) but I never thought that I would become an Electrical Engineer. ๐Ÿ˜ณ
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    When I was young my father used to make circuit breaker and other electric devices and at that time cricket was all over in my mind but when I got result of 12th. After decided to go with electronics engineering so get the admission in Diploma and later completed B.E too.

I'm first engineer in my family. ๐Ÿ˜€

PS: copy it from Biggie's reply.
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    I have always had, and still have a passion for understanding how all things work in great detail. I guess I was born with that spark. My thirst for knowledge is what brought me here to CE. I wanted to be an archeologist or musician but my passion for them were not so strong for me to pursue though.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    i fell in love with it since the time i was a toddler. i grew up playing with the "all-metal-construction-kits", made under the brand name of "mechanix".

the memories of those days are still helping me to understand what is happening in the real world of engineering, today.

i had thought of becoming a detective, but the passion for engineering was stronger.
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    When I joined engineering I don't have any idea. To be true, I was interested in doing B.A history then engineering. I got passionate towards engineering only in my second semester " circuit theory ". I had a great lab hours with all big equipments. From there it started.

And of course, My dad to belongs to electrical engineering field. He was a great inspiration. During my childhood, I use to be this assistant ๐Ÿ˜‰ , taking and giving him screw driver, cutting instrument etc...
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Why would anyone want to be anything else?
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    bioramani
    Why would anyone want to be anything else?
    Sir, do you mean to belittle other professions? ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Not at all! I actually wanted to do physics. Found that engineering had quite a bit of physics.
    When you go to a buffet with a grand spread do you not make a bee line for something that you care for more?
    There is a Sanskrit saying 'Logo binna ruchi'. Tastes differ. The thing about engineering is that it can cater to virtually all tastes.
    Our ancestors, who made the first sling shot, the first bow, the first spark by striking two stones and the first wheel were engineers.
    Viva la (crazy) engineering!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The popularity of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles or UAVs is unprecedented. The capabilities of UAVs are unexplored. And that makes me think that engineers can revolve their projects around them. A...
Starting this thread to discuss the details of the national CET for 2013. Discuss anything from exam schedule, syllabus, preparation strategies et al.
The 'General Knowledge' I'm referring to is the knowledge that you'd generally be expected to have in quizzes, debates, group discussions, interviews etc. For example, "Where is Tahrir Square?", "Who's...
can somebody please explain the difference between expansion and construction joint with simple example? what are its practical usages?
let us discuss the interview questions asked for interviews. What are the frequently asked questions in a typical job interviews? do we have pass-out students here?