Why aren't smartphone rear cameras located at the center of the phone?

I've often wondered if there are any special reasons why the camera module, the rear one, is positioned towards the top of the phone and not at the center. Isn't it quite logical that the camera module should be positioned exactly at the center of the back of the phone so that picture taking, especially the close-ups, is more natural? Try capturing a close up with a big screen phone or a tablet - and you will realise that it's bit annoying that what the camera view is few degrees away from your normal eyesight.

The only reason I could think of was that it'd be more convenient for the circuit designers to have both the front and rear camera modules located nearer to each other. But if there are any specific reasons - I'd like to know.

Replies

• Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    My vote would go to how we hold Smartphone.

This is how we hold the phone. If camera will be in center, sturdiness would be less while taking photos.

[​IMG]
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @#-Link-Snipped-# - That's the position you'd normally have when using the front camera - during video conferencing or video calls. But when most people use the rear camera, they hold the phone in the landscape mode with both the hands.

landscape-mode-camera

I think that's the most common position for holding the phone when using rear camera. Of course, in the regular, vertical mode; your fingers may cover the phone - but I believe that isn't much of a problem. Woud look forward to more suggestions. I'm curious to know whether placing the cameras at the center of the phone is practical?
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    My Perception:
    It would be more convenient for the placement of camera module at the top end and it would help in minimizing the thickness of the phone because if the camera is placed in the center it would increase the overall thickness as it should co exist behind the display(touch screen or ordinary lcd screen)
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    SarathKumar Chandrasekaran
    My Perception:
    It would be more convenient for the placement of camera module at the top end and it would help in minimizing the thickness of the phone because if the camera is placed in the center it would increase the overall thickness as it should co exist behind the display(touch screen or ordinary lcd screen)
    Why should it co-exist behind the display?
    how will it minimize the thickness if its placed at the rare end? and not in center?
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    As far as I think they do it for battery placement. In most of the phones the size of the battery is larger and the shape is also in such a way that it need some specific place on the phone.

So I dont think there is a reason apart from ease of the battery placement.
    That my opinion though..

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I found Arduino IDE not a good tool to edit arduino sketches & upload it in Arduino, especially in my Linux system(Editor kinda sucks & it's slow). So, I searched...
I'm shocked & stunned after reading about the proposed and upcoming banking reforms in India initiated by the Reserve Bank Of India (RBI) in ET. The newly appointed RBI chief,...
I am planning to buy a new bike😁 At first my options were Yamaha R15 and CBR 150R...but they are as common as any other bikes in the city these...
I had a good time in CE and I was surfing the chit chat section by filtering it by most number of replies and I feel so guilty that tough...
Since last few weeks, I was learning "How to optimize websites", because I had great issues with my own personal website, I never received more than 60% rating for my...