Which microcontroller to use?

Hi All,
I am a college student wanting to work on a new project. So far I have been using op-amps and other setups to get what I wanted on this project, but now I want to try microcontrollers (I think it'd be a much simpler setup). I am quite new to the world of microcontrollers and don't know where to even start.

The specifications of the microcontroller I need is that it has: a timer (which is activated only when I push a button), a voltage comparator, and ability to have a logic gate (I would like a NOT and AND gate). I know these are all very simple functionalities, so I don't expect that the chip would be too much (and only need it to be run at ~4.5 volts). Thanks for the help!

Replies

• shahrul
    shahrul
    You need to choose which microcontroller you want to learn like PIC, Atmel or others.
    I'm experience in PIC, so for this I suggest PIC16F877A.
  • AXmichigan
    AXmichigan
    Hi thanks for the help!
    I was thinking about the PIC as well,why do you suggest that one?
  • shahrul
    shahrul
    PIC is easy. I have use MC68K and Fuzzy in Atmel also. Since, I like PIC.
  • Predictor
    Predictor
    AXmichigan
    Hi All,
    I am a college student wanting to work on a new project. So far I have been using op-amps and other setups to get what I wanted on this project, but now I want to try microcontrollers (I think it'd be a much simpler setup). I am quite new to the world of microcontrollers and don't know where to even start.

The specifications of the microcontroller I need is that it has: a timer (which is activated only when I push a button), a voltage comparator, and ability to have a logic gate (I would like a NOT and AND gate). I know these are all very simple functionalities, so I don't expect that the chip would be too much (and only need it to be run at ~4.5 volts). Thanks for the help!
    Have you considered Atmel? Beginners are supported by #-Link-Snipped-#.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    AXmichigan
    Hi All,

If it is possible then please give some detail of project first so we can give some more specific Controller name... it may be change according to the application you are using.
  • madangopal99
    madangopal99
    If you are using 'C' language to program, you can select any microcontroller. But depends on your application you need to select the right microcontroller. PIC is having good sourcing and sinking current option. I think PIC16F877 is obsolete. Better to use PIC16F887.
  • saurabh2486
    saurabh2486
    it would be better if u give details of the project and ya u can use PIC or 8951 family microcontrollers

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

okay fellow ceans, i need to tell you about this torch which i saw at my friends place. It was this torch which was made of transparent material inside was...
Hello everyone, I need a seminar topic which is related to Electrical engineering and computers or the latest technology. I need a topic in which I can get a lot...
please suggest a mini project .please post me full discription on my e-mail id
I am not able to find much abt piezo generators, can anyone send me a link where i can find abt it . plus i wanted to know how sensitive...
i have a 2gb kingston pendrive.its not getting detected.i have tried on my friends laptop also.please help me out with this.