Which is better?

I want to know that which is better go on stand by PC or applying screen sever when we are not using PC for short period of time i.e for 15 minutes or 30 minutes?

Replies

• rishi0922
    rishi0922
    Well i think standby is better option rather than to apply any screensaver if you are going for a 15, 30 min break. Because screen saver also takes battery .
  • sushant005
    sushant005
    Well rishi. its ok that Screen saver takes battery but sand by also takes battery but less in comparison to screen saver.
    Any one know any other reason why to prefer stand by rather applying screen saver.
  • gaurav.bhorkar
    gaurav.bhorkar
    Hibernating is also a good option if the time gap is more.
  • Reya
    Reya
    Put your computer to sleep or on standby mode to maximize the life of your battery and maintain quick access to open programs, files, and documents. When you want to use your computer again, it wakes up quickly, and your desktop is restored exactly as you left it.

In hibernation, your computer saves everything to your hard disk and then shuts down. When you restart the computer, your desktop is restored exactly as you left it. Hibernation uses less power than the sleep state (standby), but it takes a bit longer to resume.

On screen saver ur desktop computer uses 60-250 watts
    In Laptop it takes 15-45 watts..
    But if u put ur computer in standby mode it takes only 1 -6 watts..

It is better to put your system in hibernate mode..
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    I agree wid u preaveena....I think hibernation is better option as it saves power than sleep.....
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    its more of a personal preference and also about the usage. if you are going out for 15-20 mins then it is better to leave on stand by. Go for hibernation only for extended periods of more than 30 mins. Hibernation saves ur session on disk and shuts down the system thereby not using any power while it is off, but turning the computer on requires more power than it would have taken if it was kept idle for few minutes. Its the same like it happens for refridgerator or a bike. So unless its for a few mins, keep it in standby for quick resume. If idle for long, keep it hibernated instead to save power.
  • sushant005
    sushant005
    I read somewhere that while applying for hibernate on PC it saves all the data to the Hard Disk not RAM.Why it is so?
    And Stand by saves the data in RAM.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Ya, you are right.
    Hibernation saves the current system state in the Hard disk and shuts down, so that you can completely cut off the power supply to the system.
    If it saved the system state in the RAM then if you cut the power, the data in the RAM would be erased. That's why it's stored in hard disk..

But in standby mode, the system still gets power, but uses very less power, just enough to do the essential tasks.. So, it's ok to keep the data in the RAM itself.
    Also, if it is in the RAM, then the recovery time will be shorter than if it's in hard disk..
  • sushant005
    sushant005
    @ silverscorpion it is very true that Hibernation use space of hard diskk and shut down the PC just because RAM store the data till PC is not power off.
    Then what is advantage of hibernation over PC shut down?
    We know that Hibernation almost makes PC shut down and it also takes time to resume then why not we completely shut down our PC rather hibernate it?
  • anandkumarjha
    anandkumarjha
    Yes i agree with what has been told by optimystix about the difference between standby mode and hibernation.It's a better way to go for standby when you are out for around 10-20 mint because all the data are in RAM itself and it consumes less battery and when you again using system it resumes quickly ,but if you are out for aroun 30 mints or above then hibernation is the best option
  • mywbut
    mywbut
    If you want to save energy power the you must go on stand by ...
  • anandkumarjha
    anandkumarjha
    As far as i know about hybernation and pc shut down that hibernation saves the desktop state and random access memory content before closing it. upon the next boot it restore the desktop as it was befire.whereas shutdown dump the ram and close all the program.upon reboot all the functions should be started manually
  • callyD
    callyD
    As others said you can use hibernation to save power when you will be away from the computer for an extended time while working.
  • sushant005
    sushant005
    well ya ...i think time played much important role. I mean to say that if we are not using our PC for long duration say for 2-3 hours its better to go for hibernation because if we shut down the PC which takes more time to boot the system then the hibernation which takes less time to boot .

I want to ask one more question ,
    If we are using our laptop or desktop for whole night or say for complete 24 hours without shut down it then does it have bad impact on HDD or to any components of PC.
    And this not the case for the one day it may be regular.
    Is their any average time for a day to use our PC otherwise it may have bad impact on it?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Mobile Developer Summit is for Developers, Platform Vendors, Operators & Carriers and Internet Players As the focus world-wide shifts from App Stores to Developers (some even calling 2010 the Year...
Hello to all you crazy engineers, For the inventors out there, there is a new website called Inpama - Marketplace for your ideas where people can post their patented invention,...
What is difference between signed and unsigned version of application? What is the need of application which are signed?
hi! i'm new here I hope I can learn a lot from this forum 😁
this is a thread to post all the innovative ideas that we have in mind in mechanical field. so that they are worth useful for doing as projects. so please...