Which company offers the best external hard disk?

Hey CEans,

I was thinking to get an External Hard Disk of 1 TB.
Should I buy hard disk from Seagate ,or any other company?

If anyone, has used it (any companies' hard disk), please post your review.

Thanks.

Replies

• lovebox
    lovebox
    I think Seagate is good. But if you want to go for something rugged, try the Transcend Storejet. Its a little more expensive than Seagate but it is drop tested and also features the one touch auto back-up button.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    lovebox
    I think Seagate is good. But if you want to go for something rugged, try the Transcend Storejet. Its a little more expensive than Seagate but it is drop tested and also features the one touch auto back-up button.
    Thanks for the reply, and do you have any idea about Maxtor, and Western Digital?
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    I still insist you to go for Seagate. My friends had given a good review on it.The reliability of Seagate is quite good.Sorry , I dont have any ideas on western digital and maxtor.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    I heard about Sony's 1TB hard drive They are cooler than the others But no idea about the variation in their performance

Just make sure that the hard drive is suiting your USB port in built in your system
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    Go for Western Digital. You won't be disappointed.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I have been using Western Digital since 2.5 years and it works very well.

I have almost 80% of the disk filled with data and movies.

I connect it to my telivision and my laptop daily and use it daily. So till now there are no problems faced.

The only drawback is the connecting chord's length.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    I own 2 external HDDs. Both seagate. One is 640Gb other is 1Tb. And I am satisfied with the performance. You can opt for Seagate. I couldn't comment on other brands since I didn't use them.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Ok, Now I'm thinking to get one of either Seagate or Western Digital, many people have given me positive reviews about both of them, not only here, but on other forums too..
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Western Digital & Seagate both are equally good. But as I own Western Digital & it's working fine from last one year, I will vote for WD.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    A Hard disk works fine for 8 to 10 years after that it will show its true colour

If you are planning one for such a long use make a wise decision otherwise both the companies have the best product as of now
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    -1 for Seagate 👎

I've been using a Seagate BackUp Plus 1 TB for about 2 years now. From last week onwards, my windows explorer keeps crashing while I'm accessing files, and it gets undetected while watching videos. Formatted it twice with regular Windows format and recopied some files from my Laptop to the HDD. Sadly, the same thing keeps happening while playing videos or accessing files. I'm a rough user and I can say that it doesn't take a beating that well.

Looking forward to getting a WD Essentials My Passport Ultra or a Transcend Storejet.

People in most forums keep advising to take a 'back-up' of your "back-up" if the data is that valuable to you. You never know which HDD can ruin your day, and when!😡
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    #-Link-Snipped-# Sometimes Filesystems are culprit and not everytime HDD. Since you're using Windows or OS X you don't have any choice other than NTFS or HFS respectively.

You never know what could be the problem. I was using BtrFS (Better FS) and sometimes my plasma used to crash, however after much research in BtrFS I found that any software using preallocated files & mmap() on it, it crashes. Sadly have to go back to Ext4.

In short what I mean is, you might've encountered an NTFS bug.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Abhishek Rawal
    #-Link-Snipped-# Sometimes Filesystems are culprit and not everytime HDD. Since you're using Windows or OS X you don't have any choice other than NTFS or HFS respectively.

You never know what could be the problem. I was using BtrFS (Better FS) and sometimes my plasma used to crash, however after much research in BtrFS I found that any software using preallocated files & mmap() on it, it crashes. Sadly have to go back to Ext4.

In short what I mean is, you might've encountered an NTFS bug.
    Guys, a quick update. Tried wiping the entire HDD and resetting the whole thing. The data gets copied alright, but while accessing it's a pain in the ass as almost half of the time it doesn't work (as in either the data is half corrupt/inaccessible/parts of it are accessible at 'particular' times). So after about 2 weeks of trials I was really annoyed today, and I just took it down with a Hammer!!

Guess what:- Found Samsung's Stuff inside Seagate HDD!!😨
    [​IMG]
    P.S.: Already there was a lot of rough use and falls during usage, so I didn't bother to go with warranties/further-repairs. Took a video of the Killing too...!
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Guess what:- Found Samsung's Stuff inside Seagate HDD!!😨
    [​IMG]
    Looks like they do this. More Info #-Link-Snipped-#. 😨But why? Is it another reason for degradation so early? Normally original 'Seagate' HDD last a lot better. 😳

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

To all the engineers from India and around the world, we wish you a very happy engineers day! Every year, September 15th is celebrated as engineers day all over India...
help me to get block diagram of wiring system in cars including ecu...????
For a fresh Electrical engineer which is the better company to start with more scope Schneider or Kirloskar I am so much eager for a job but due to some...
Solar Panels, Pneumatic Phtochromic self cleaning panels, Recycling options, natural lighting and much else besides are the current trends in eco friendly constructions. Read more here: https://cr4.globalspec.com/blogentry/23162/Biggest-Trends-In-Eco-Friendly-Building?frmtrk=cr4digest Links to more...
Nothing new. Routine stuff. Still could be useful as a brushing up on the topic. https://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2013/09/06/tech-101-maintaining-and-charging-a-battery/