Which branch to choose - Civil or Mechanical after 12th standard?

Mam i have just passed class 12th and will take admission in one of the nit's or bits but i want to fill the branch in counselling accordingly.. . I am completely new to this fiel and lack guidance.. i need a branch which will have easy syllabus and a will serve as an easy option in engineering section as i will have to prepare for other sections too... Both branches interests me and the types of jobs too.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    When I was in your situation, I basically knew that I had to take up a branch related to electricity. Electronics / Electrical / Electronics and Communication were options. I opted for 'Electrical' based on the college + course combination.

What looks more exciting to you if you imagine yourself working on these: -

1. Buildings, Dams, Roads, Infrastructure?
    2. Cars, Ships, Robots, Airplanes etc.

Don't make your choice on 'job opportunities', 'scope' etc. Opt for the branch that looks totally interesting. I chose electrical because it was super interesting to me. You will enjoy studying engineering that way and make a great career.
  • msajaa
    msajaa
    In case of job opportunities both sectors are at the peak for recruitment of professionals. means these sectors have a very large opportunity for the candidate for having a good career. but instead of it we go very deep the mechanical trade is a bit more value able and demanded rather than of civil. but the experts in both the fields could easily get the appropriate grades.
  • Vikram S Bargah
    Vikram S Bargah
    Welcome to Crazyengineers #-Link-Snipped-# . Choosing a great career requires a combination of Field of interest & proper guidance. You can get the details of all the Engineering options with their details #-Link-Snipped-#.

Hope this helps.
    Do participate in all the on-going discussions at CE & share your queries here. We'v got some very talented engineers & experts here onboard who are always happy to help you..
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Instead of seeking answers like easy syllabus, option or whatever only question you should seek.

Do you like to build a Motorbike/Car or a skyscraper?

I know this question seems too vague and abstract but this is only question you should asking. Just choose the stream you really interested in.
  • Tushar92
    Tushar92
    I know it can be quite difficult to choose a branch if you don't have a prior interest. I am a civil engineering from one of the NITs myself. If you really don't know your interest, prefer mechanical. There are a lot more opportunities for mechanical engineers in campus placements and they are valued more initially in their career. Also, mechanical engineering has more interesting subjects in general. Do look at the brief outlook of the syllabus of both before deciding.
    If you have any questions about civil engineering, feel free to ask.
  • TSMone
    TSMone
    Both are equivalent to great end. See for contacts. If you have a Mechanical Engineer in blood relation, go for that. That is going to help you a lot. Remember that, you should not dwell on cousins. Choose on the biases of elders, of the age of your parents who have potential to get you a job easily.
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    vsvivek99
    Mam i have just passed class 12th and will take admission in one of the nit's or bits but i want to fill the branch in counselling accordingly.. . I am completely new to this fiel and lack guidance.. i need a branch which will have easy syllabus and a will serve as an easy option in engineering section as i will have to prepare for other sections too... Both branches interests me and the types of jobs too.
    Both branches are well established. The difference will be the college from which you pass out(as placements vary), and your self interest.
    My advice:
    Choose whatever you like, but take a pledge to never regret your decisions.
    Decisions are tough, and most of the times we want other to take those for us, and later we regret that we couldn't do what we could have done.
    So make your own choice, and learn to live with it.

PS: It seems, in your sub-conscious, you have already made a decision, as you have put your trade here at CE, as Mechanical 😀
    Good Luck!! 😀
  • msuresh444
    msuresh444
    Kaustubh Katdare
    When I was in your situation, I basically knew that I had to take up a branch related to electricity. Electronics / Electrical / Electronics and Communication were options. I opted for 'Electrical' based on the college + course combination.

What looks more exciting to you if you imagine yourself working on these: -

1. Buildings, Dams, Roads, Infrastructure?
    2. Cars, Ships, Robots, Airplanes etc.

Don't make your choice on 'job opportunities', 'scope' etc. Opt for the branch that looks totally interesting. I chose electrical because it was super interesting to me. You will enjoy studying engineering that way and make a great career.
    I would agree with you totally! \m/
    I was/am passionate about mechanical engineering since a long time. So, choose one which interests you the most!
    Good luck...

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Xiaomi Mi Band, the fitness tracker wearable device from the Chinese manufacturer has been quite popular among Indians ever since it was introduced. A large portion of the success is...
Lybrate.com is India's mobile first platform that aims to makes healthcare delivery rapidly accessible to millions of Indians. Founded by Saurabh Arora and Rahul Narang in 2013, Lybrate is one...
The app management problem is growing and it's more serious than it appears. If you don't know what I'm talking about - tell me how many of you quickly remember...
Google will not charge any transaction fee on Google Pay transactions. The transaction fee, for Apple Pay is 0.15% of the transaction value. Looks like the competition among the payment...
Samsung's next version of Samsung Gear is likely to support mobile payments through their recently announced service called 'Samsung Pay'. The report from South Korea newspapers hints at Samsung planning...