Which Audio Format Produces The Best Music Quality?

I'm wondering whether MP3 is the best audio format available to produce the best of the music quality. I've no knowledge of how MP3 compression works, but I'm guessing that it drops several audio components in favor of reducing the file size. I'm also wondering if the bitrate has a big role to play in the audio quality? 320 kbps music sounds way better than 128 kbps to me.

Does anyone here know?

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Higher the bit rate better the quality of SOund

And mp3 compression is one of the base methods of compression where the Quality loss is higher as it uses modified White noise to reproduce sound

MIDI format is good and consumes very less memory space

Each and every format has it's own plus and minus Hard to differentiate them

Bitrate plays higher role in quality compared to the format of sound
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    MIDI - however is only for the instruments. You can't have voice frequencies in there.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    I like .wmv format which can be played by windows media player and it sounds good.
    On bitrate issue-As our CEan said higher the bitrate better the quality obtained(but high memory).
    There are many formats such as .mp3,aac,ogg,midi,wmv,etc but my favourite is wmv.
  • Cyborg 009
    Cyborg 009
    FLAC is the best format which has lossless compression.No data lost so decompressed data is an identical copy of the original audio data.
    Formats like mp3 are based on lossy compression to reduce file size & maintaining acceptable quality level...320k is max bitrate in mp3
    as bitrate gets lower ..original data is lost .& der is distortion due to quantization ..
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    APE is a very highly compressed lossless file, meaning you'll get the most space savings. Its audio quality is the same as FLAC & other lossless files, but it isn't compatible with nearly as many players.

I think the clear and easy choice here is MP3 or AAC. They're compatible with nearly every player out there, and both are indistinguishable from the original source if encoded at a high bitrate.

Speaking of sound quality, isn't using a better earphone/headphone as important as the audio format for best experience? We can discuss that too!
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    AAC is slightly better than MP3. But personally, MP3 is fine by me as long as its 192 kbps. Though, difference between MP3/AAC and CD quality is definitely obvious.

FLAC should be more prevalent now that cost of storage is low. More newer players support this format. A typical song is around 25 MB. So its a great format to rip off songs from your CD collection. I do believe there are some websites that sell lossless tracks that you can download as well.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    No-one mentioned .opus ? Opus is future, no wonder why Google,vlc,skype & few other good companies are backing it.

opus
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    For actual performance I would vote for wav format over any But the file sizes can be nightmarish to most users

Opus I have not tried it out I will give it a go today or tomo
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Well all types of lossless formats can give you an excellent sound quality. WMV is good. Also every operating system or environment can have its own format. So you need to basically look for those without any loss.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    If you are music lover then go for Lossless compression, period.
    Flac is awesome takes less than half space of wav file.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I have lenovo G580 machine. I've been trying to install linux as secondary os... But i couldn't able install linux as secondary... ie., i have partitioned 450gb for windows and...
We love to talk about how education system is flawed and how it needs to be fixed immediately. I think more than the education system, what needs to be fixed...
Everyone loves WhatsApp and now you won't feel 'less equipped' than your friends using other rival messaging services like Line, Viber, WeChat etc. WhatsApp is getting push to talk voice...
Hola CEans, I think all of you should set your alert preferences so that you don't miss on any important activity of the forum. This is the easiest way to...
Yahoo's one of the forgotten companies that is trying to reinvent itself with the help of new top executive - ex. Googler Marissa Mayer. Ms. Mayer's out shopping and has...