What's the minimum voltage dangerous to human body?

Here's a question to all the electrical engineers -

What's the minimum voltage required to get a 'shock' and what's the minimum voltage dangerous to human body?

Replies

• [C/C++]Akhil
    [C/C++]Akhil
    This will be my first post and also glad to help a 'Good administrator'.

I personally have no idea but with the help of the most powerful program in the world, Google, it was easy to find.
    Here are some links to help you out:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    What value of voltage can Kill?
    Electric Shock

After reading the first link, the reply said that it would require something above 24 volts for us to even feel the electrical charge.

Playing with electricity is never a good idea.
    - YouTube
    It looked like that man just time traveled like Back to the Future.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    I think it's not the voltage which matters. It's the current that flows through our body.

Our body can withstand about 30 milliAmps current. Anything above that should probably be fatal, I guess.

Voltage really shouldn't matter, because, what we feel as shock is actually current flowing through the body. Irrespective of voltage, if the current is low enough, we will be safe.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    That's right, it's the current flowing through the body; which will be determined by the resistivity of the skin - which is different for everyone. However, the question is, what's the the range of voltage that covers most of us 😛
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    A voltage of 100V, if short circuited through your body to the ground, can be fatal.These are the words of a teacher of mine.
    What I feel its not voltage or current alone that matters. Its the power(product of both) that matters the most. A shock is fatal above 30 mA(thats what I too believe).

P.S.-We are highly resistive, mind you.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Yep, 30 mA is fatal if it passes through certain parts of body.
  • shreyasm89
    shreyasm89
    Well...actually the safety voltage values are 50V-for dry premises,25V-for Wet premises.
    The human body can withstand a current of 30mA at 50Hz for max. 400 mS. But mind you that is the threshold for "RESPIRATORY PARALYSIS." The shock value should be 6mA.
  • d_vipul
    d_vipul
    shreyasm89
    Well...actually the safety voltage values are 50V-for dry premises,25V-for Wet premises.
    The human body can withstand a current of 30mA at 50Hz for max. 400 mS. But mind you that is the threshold for "RESPIRATORY PARALYSIS." The shock value should be 6mA.
    Hey Friend,
    Please explain it...........
    Means at ___Voltage And at ___Amperes.....
    In both conditions dry and wet........

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

When a certain number is divided by 7, the remainder is 0. If the remainder is not 0 when the number is divided by 14, then the remainder must be...
Hello!!!! I am Ritupam, a Mechanical Engineering student...... Will someone please explain me the concept of ENTHALPY in thermodynamics???? Thank you....
Finally some good is coming of Google’s acquisition of Gizmo5. GMail’s chat application already supports voice and video chatting, and was recently released for Linux. Now it would seem that...
hi all. hows every one ..It feels great to be a part of such a nice forum.. thanks to the creators
So, Google is now paying increasing attention to real time search. Taking a step further in the direction, Google has just launched a new URL for its real time search...