What's industry's role in education?

Quote:
In a letter to the Daily Telegraph, the Institution of Engineering and Technology, along with 16 major UK engineering companies has warned that the government's plan to downgrade the Engineering Diploma for 14-19 year olds from being worth five GCSEs to one undermines efforts to attract a new generation to the profession. Should industry take an active role in determining the content and value of educational qualifications?
Endquote

In my view Engineering is an industry based activity and not just an academic one. I feel that industry, which provides gainful employment to engineers, can have a say in the content of engineering education.

What is the view of CEans in general?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I just wished that the Industry was actively involved with the educational institutions. It's very sad to see bright engineering graduates who have absolutely no clue what it is like to work in the industry and what to expect.

What I experienced during my trip in Israel was that the companies like Intel, Microsoft & Qualcomm were actively involved with the Universities and actually employed students on research projects.

Talking about India - the current Industry does not require 'engineers'. That's the reason they do just fine with any average engineering graduate.

I dream of a day when the innovative engineering companies work with the academicians to decide what to teach in classrooms.
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    Yes they should, they must!
    There should be more practicals conducted, where the students get an exposure of live projects.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    An update:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    What about our other CEans? Got comments, opinions, views? 😀
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    Compnaies drive technological innovations, That is what i feel at least. The R&D work at engineering companies is much more utlised than the academic R&D. The reason being - they know what the problems are in real time, rather than just taking up a hypothetical issue.
    There participation is very much needed to determine what exactly needs to be taught
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @Durga: Academic R&D should be in sync with what's required in the industries or lead to accelerating the industrial growth. At least it's true about the engineering & technology R&D.

However, the problem is far from being related to the research. Industries don't even participate (or let's blame the academic institutions for this void) in the academics to shape what's being taught & how it's done.

It'd be a wonderful day when companies like BMW or say TATA participate in designing the course material or develop a new engine/car along with the students. Or am I just thinking too ahead of the times?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The_Big_K
    @Durga: Academic R&D should be in sync with what's required in the industries or lead to accelerating the industrial growth. At least it's true about the engineering & technology R&D.

However, the problem is far from being related to the research. Industries don't even participate (or let's blame the academic institutions for this void) in the academics to shape what's being taught & how it's done.

It'd be a wonderful day when companies like BMW or say TATA participate in designing the course material or develop a new engine/car along with the students. Or am I just thinking too ahead of the times?
    I think that it would happen sooner than later.
    The IIT Madras research park is a start in the right direction:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    @Big K - I was highligting one facet of the problem (R&D) and as far as academic research being in sycn with Industries. I agree industries sometime collaborate with educational institutions to drive research work, but in real they would only drive. The example what i can give is various standards each big player has. Nevertheless, the process of industries particiapting in syllabus formulation has already being . For example - there is this course taught in UNSW incollaboration with Cisco. Employees of Cisco would come and discuss various issues higlighted in the course 1 hr each day.
    #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi friends, Today the technologies are developing widely.So any technology folks in this forum can share their valuable information about the latest technolgies and there applications.They can also share the...
It is frustrating for me when I hear people starting their own companies that too with just a laptop. This being a personal opinion, what do you think is the...
i want some clarity between different types of constructors in c++, can anybody help me.... i want to see the code too...
i just read in one of my books that before first browser called Mosaic was developed, there were already around 50 websites running. so how those websites were browsed without...
Jaguar and Warwick University are redefining automobile design using virtual reality with powerwalls. https://www.theengineer.co.uk/video/powerwalls-engineering-in-virtual-reality/1011546.article