browsing website without browser? possible??

i just read in one of my books that before first browser called Mosaic was developed, there were already around 50 websites running. so how those websites were browsed without a browser?? is it still possible???

Replies

• eternalthinker
    eternalthinker
    There are some text based browsers. But I don't know how much this answer is valid since they're also called 'browsers' in a way ๐Ÿ˜

After all, browsing is getting the web page source code and resources with HTTP requests and deciding how to display them at the user end. Although this detail is mostly implicit these days, it would've been explicit in early days.
  • I_am_Kunal :)
    I_am_Kunal :)
    eternalthinker
    There are some text based browsers. But I don't know how much this answer is valid since they're also called 'browsers' in a way ๐Ÿ˜

After all, browsing is getting the web page source code and resources with HTTP requests and deciding how to display them at the user end. Although this detail is mostly implicit these days, it would've been explicit in early days.
    I agree. Contacting a website would involve using the HTTP protocol. That should count as browsing. (it's like asking how to contact internet without contacting internet ๐Ÿ˜€ )

But this Mosaic looks like a graphical browser so perhaps OP would be ok with text based browser.

I think in Linux one can still use some text based browsers.

'Lynx' is one such example. Lynx (Web Browser)
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Well once I've connected to the Internet through windows calculator and here is the procedure.

1. Open your calculator by clicking Start --> Run --> and type 'calc' for calculator.
    2. You'll get it and then press F1, It gives you Help window.
    3. Right click on the yellow question mark or anywhere on the blue bar and then click on "Jump to URL" option.
    4. Once you press that you will have the option to put an address bar. You can enter the address of the webpage that you want to browse.
    NOTE: You need to input all the address including "https://"
    Example: "CrazyEngineers"

You can do this with some more applications like Notepad, Mspaint so on ๐Ÿ‘
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    lovejeet
    i just read in one of my books that before first browser called Mosaic was developed,
    Forgot to ask, I read somewhere that before Mosaic there was one browser named WorldWideWeb(later renamed to Nexus) developed by Tim Berners Lee. Is'nt it?
  • lovejeet
    lovejeet
    Sada
    Forgot to ask, I read somewhere that before Mosaic there was one browser named WorldWideWeb(later renamed to Nexus) developed by Tim Berners Lee. Is'nt it?
    i doubt. i read mosaic as the first browser developed by the Great Tim Berners Lee. still, will check and then will discuss. and ya, that calculator trick worked. so it a text-based browser?
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Text based browsers like Lynx is there and the websites are used mainly for parsing information, which now-a-days, cURL does it! ๐Ÿ˜€
  • whiz.kid.aniket
    whiz.kid.aniket
    Sada
    Well once I've connected to the Internet through windows calculator and here is the procedure.

1. Open your calculator by clicking Start --> Run --> and type 'calc' for calculator.
    3. Right click on the yellow question mark or anywhere on the blue bar and then click on "Jump to URL" option.
    4. Once you press that you will have the option to put an address bar. You can enter the address of the webpage that you want to browse.

This works for windows xp and 2000 only.
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Sada

Er... CHM is Internet Explorer! ๐Ÿ˜›
    Microsoft Compiled Html Help

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Jaguar and Warwick University are redefining automobile design using virtual reality with powerwalls. https://www.theengineer.co.uk/video/powerwalls-engineering-in-virtual-reality/1011546.article
https://cr4.globalspec.com/blogentry/18922/The-First-Rule-of-Sumo-Fight-Club-is
Hi People.. I am UK based student studying BSc Business Information Systems, and in my Final year. I am looking for a interesting project, any Idea's?? I like some of...
I am interested in solving coding problems like the ones on codechef, acm icpc. But I find I am approaching it the wrong way. All I know is basic c++...
are there any paper presentation competitions on this site??