What would happen if you fold a paper 48 times?

Supposing that you are able to fold a paper equally in half 'n' number of times. What would the size(width) of the paper be if you fold it 48 times.? Give some work to your brain and share your craziest answers here.(It's thickness is one thousandth of a centimetre. Imagine the paper to be a complete page of a Newspaper).

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I have actually tried that as a school-going kid. I tried folding a newspaper in half as many times as possible. And from what I remember, I couldn't go past the 8th fold. It just became impossible to fold - no matter how large a paper you begin with. 😨
  • vinod1993
    vinod1993
    AbraKaDabra
    I have actually tried that as a school-going kid. I tried folding a newspaper in half as many times as possible. And from what I remember, I couldn't go past the 8th fold. It just became impossible to fold - no matter how large a paper you begin with. 😨
    That's just practical. Bravo, You've done 8 folds for the 8th fold is not easily possible to make.😀 I want a theoretical answer.That's why I wanted you to suppose that a paper can be folded 'n' times.
  • clZazy
    clZazy
    let the thickness of the paper is x(which in our case = 1/1000 cm)
    now after first fold it will be doubled, that is = 2x
    in this way thickness would be doubled after every fold.

x --> 2x --> 4x --> 8x --> 16x....

this way final width = (2 to the power 48) * x

= (2^48) * 1/1000 cm
    = 281474976710.656 cm
    or 28,14,749 km approx

which is nearly 7 times the distance of the moon from the earth!! 😨

and that too when we assumed thickness of paper 1/1000 th of a cm, way too less.😉
  • vinod1993
    vinod1993
    Excellent. 😀 But it's 8 times the distance of moon from the earth.Anyway an excellent answer.This is called exponential growth.
  • simplycoder
    simplycoder
    Its a myth,
    Google up for Britney Galvin...
    she has solved this problem. with a mathematical proof.
    I tried to do the same with a bus ticket, and even the 7th fold was impossible.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Surprisingly, one can't even fold a piece of cloth beyond 5-6 folds. I tried this so many times ever since I was a kid. Just wondering if there's a mathematical explanation to why this doesn't work?

Or can we generalize this to the 'max number of folds'? But I can already imagine any malleable material being folded 1000 times. What am I thinking now? 😨
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    "As the number of folds increases, the combined thickness also increases 2^n. where n= number of folds "
    Your answer lie in above statement.
  • vinod1993
    vinod1993
    That was what I meant. I wanted you all to suppose that it can be folded this many times. I just wanted you all to imagine. Practically it's impossible. Everyone might have heard about the famous phrase, "No one can fold a paper more than 7 times" But this myth was broken when high schoolers in UK managed to fold a toilet paper 13 times. Yes, a mathematical relation is given by Britney Galvin. You can also take a look at this.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    vinod1993
    Yes, a mathematical relation is given by Britney Galvin. You can also take a look at this.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Gallivan was able to fold a single 4,000-foot-long piece 😲 of toilet paper in half 12 times, establishing a new record. She also wrote a book, titled “How to Fold Paper in Half Twelve Times: An ‘Impossible Challenge’ Solved and Explained.”#-Link-Snipped-#

But this is also uncatogariged as the paper was folded one side only not cross.
    Well impossible challenges created to be break.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    arbitrary assumptions can only be done here and no practical feasability in this issue

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Glad to inform you all that there are openings in Indian Navy. For Engineers who aspire to serve our nation well there is an opportunity for us. The online application...
Alrighty, you are a little less around these days , no worries. We are all wishing you a very happy birthday! 🎉 PS:CEans - you can read about ASk here...
"ICERECT 12" 1st International Conference on Emerging Research in Electronics Computer Science and Technology organized by Department of Electronics & Communication, Department of Computer Science and Department of Information Technology...
Let's say I have USD 3,000 to spend (I wish 😒 ). Which computer is better and why? 1. 15" MacBook Pro: 2.3GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up...
yesterday i found a site englishleap they are providing english spoken help...with online assistance. can anyone tell me are they reliable or its something fake site as there are lot...