What type of motors are used in sewing machines & what's the max torque do they have?

hey guys does anyone here know what type of motors are used in sewing machines and the maximum torque that they deliver.(just an approximate value).

Besides this does anyone know the maximum torque delivered by ceiling fan motors and pump motors ? (numerical values).

Replies

• pratap singh, upendra
    pratap singh, upendra
    as far as I know the commercial sewing machines that are available in the market are necessarily constant speed motors that are designed to operate at different but fixed speed and which do not require a very high starting torque...

these facts make dc shunt motors to be the most obvious choice for this applications
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Thanks buddy.

But then can you tell me an approximate value for the value of maximum torque in Nm.

are dc shunt motors used for this ? since sewing machines are used domestically then won't they be using an AC motor or induction motor to run on Ac current ?

by the way what about the torque of ceiling fan motors.
  • pratap singh, upendra
    pratap singh, upendra
    u see in most of the cases, the efficiency of the ac shunt motor is poor compared to its dc counterpart. More ever as far as different motors are concerned they cannot be used because there has to be a definite and fixed speed for performing one of the specific task. Because this speed must not change as the load varies, a shunt motor remains as obvious choice.

recently there has been advancement in the design of various induction motors that can substitute dc shunt motors with regards to this operation....

as far as torque is concerned, it varies depending upon the design, constructional parameters etc. and two machines working in the same manufacturing unit can have different torque specifications....
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Thank you guys.

now can help me obtain data sheets of such motors from the net. i tried it myself and could find only one.
  • pratap singh, upendra
    pratap singh, upendra
    i suppose you cannot get the datasheets via internet. You have to necessarily visit the company concerned for further assistance or a showroom etc. Only the manufacturers or vendors can provide you with a legitimate datasheet
  • lal
    lal
    I think, universal motors are used in sewing machines. Like in a mixer grinder. They are essentially series motors able to provide high RPM and good torque output. Will check back and reply. I pretty much believe it is not a DC shunt motor.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    #-Link-Snipped-#

maybe you are very close. i obtained a datasheet of a motor manufactured by TULLU. it is a AC/DC motor, which means it is universal, right. and besides i have seen a motor being used for a gyroscope, which provided very high speed (rpm) and torque to the flywheel, so hence its got to be a series wound motor.
  • lal
    lal
    Browsed a bit and found it to be universal motors which are used mostly in household sewing machines. Here is a link (isn't much technical though): #-Link-Snipped-#

Yeah, AC/DC means it is a universal motor. It is designed to work on both AC and DC supply. Being a series motor, it will be able to provide enough torque and high rpm.

The biggest limitation in using DC motors is that, our domestic power supply is in AC mode and for a DC motor to be used, an extra step of power conversion comes in between (rectification). But, a DC motor provides precise speed control when compared to other types. But that isn't needed for domestic applications.

Even though a shunt motor exhibits amazing speed regulation, in normal use, a domestic sewing machine motor will not be operated continuously. It will be frequently started and stopped. So speed regulation is insignificant. With less torque, it might not work as desired on tough clothes too. Same is the case of an induction motor - low torque and tougher speed control.
  • Samanth Batchu
    Samanth Batchu

If we use this motor what kind of energy produce

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Came in the mail: An Obituary printed in the London Times - Interesting and sadly rather true Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense,who has...
hello friends, recently I was going through the qualifications that are required for a post that was recruiting aeronautical(electronics) engineers(as written in their bulletin). When I got into the details...
hi, when we take out any simcard we find the brand logo on it(like airtel etc). below that we often see 64k written somewhere at the bottom. What does this...
i like to do a mini project with piezo electric crystals for project exhibition. Could anyone suggest me a gud topic?
R.I.P Tony Greig. AMUL's Tribute to Tony Greig- England captain turned commentator.. The_Big_K